RHBA-2011:1473 - Bug Fix Advisory
ltrace bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated ltrace package that fixes various bugs is now available.
The ltrace utility is a debugging program that runs a specified command until
the command exits. While the command is executing, ltrace intercepts and
records both the dynamic library calls called by the executed process and the
signals received by the executed process. The ltrace utility can also intercept
and print system calls executed by the process.
This updated ltrace package includes a fix for the following bug:
- When tracing a process with many threads, the traced process would very likely
be killed as the threads ran into breakpoins that wouldn't be handled by ltrace.
With this update, ltrace attaches to the newly created threads, and carefully
handles the breakpoints so that tracing events are not missed.
Note: when ltrace attached to a running process, that process could have been
detached with the instruction pointer pointed mid-instruction, or with pending
events, which would kill the process. This update improves the detach logic so
that the process is left in a consistent state before detaching. (BZ#733216)
All users of ltrace are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 i386
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5