RHBA-2011:1055 - Bug Fix Advisory
virt-manager bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated virt-manager package that fixes various bugs is now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager) is a graphical tool for administering
virtual machines for KVM, Xen and QEMU. The virt-manager utility can start,
stop, add or remove virtualized devices, connect to a graphical or serial
console, and see resource usage statistics for existing virtualized guests on
local or remote machines. It uses the libvirt API (Application Programming
This updated virt-manager package includes fixes for the following bugs:
- When the media in a CD-ROM device has been changed in a KVM guest
configuration, virt-manager specified the disk driver name incorrectly as "file"
or "phy" instead of the correct name, "qemu". This caused the KVM domain that
the guest was running in to fail to start. The issue has been fixed:
virt-manager now assigns the disk driver name correctly and the domain is now
successfully started after the resource change. (BZ#641858)
- When changing CPU allocation values for a KVM guest in the virtual hardware
table using the virt-manager GUI, it was not possible to save new values. This
happened because this operation was considered invalid for an inactive KVM
domain. This issue has been fixed and the CPU allocation values change is now
respected in the virt-manager GUI. (BZ#644736)
- Previously, an attempt to change the current memory allocation value for a KVM
guest in the virtual hardware table using the virt-manager GUI failed with an
error message saying that this function is not supported by a connection driver.
This problem has been fixed and a user is now able to change the current memory
allocation value by using the virt-manager GUI. (BZ#645285)
All users of virt-manager are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use the Red Hat
Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- BZ - 641858 - virt-manager specified incorrect disk driver when changing media for guest.
- BZ - 644736 - virt-manager can not change vcpus for KVM guest
- BZ - 645285 - virt-manager cannot change mem for KVM guest
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5