RHBA-2011:0249 - Bug Fix Advisory
procps bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated procps package that fixes multiple bugs is now available for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4.
The procps package contains a set of system utilities that provide system
information. The procps package includes ps, free, pgrep, pkill, pmap, skill,
slabtop, snice, sysctl, tload, top, uptime, vmstat, w, and watch.
This update fixes the following bugs:
- Previously, no header was displayed when vmstat used the options -n and -m.
This update fixes the problem by adding a header, and the header is displayed
- Previously, an incomplete condition in ps could cause it to access the wrong
memory. Due to this behavior, ps could fail and unexpectedly close. This update
adds a condition in the code, and ps no longer fails. (BZ#521200)
- Previously, the command vmstat did not correctly accept the -SM parameter that
specifies memory units. Due to this behavior, an error message about incorrect
parameters was printed. This update modifies the handling of the parameters.
Now, vmstat accepts this parameter, and no more error messages appear.
- Previously, the sorting process with the ps command option pcpu did not work
correctly. This update modifies the sorting condition, and the sorting option
pcpu works as expected. (BZ#598568)
All users of procps are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 492128 - vmstat -m -n does not display header even once
- BZ - 521200 - ps aborted with "double free or corruption"
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4