RHBA-2009:1000 - Bug Fix Advisory
initscripts bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated initscripts package that fixes various bugs is now available.
The initscripts package contains the basic system scripts used to boot your
Red Hat system, change runlevels, and shut the system down cleanly.
Initscripts also contains the scripts that activate and de-activate most
This updated initscripts package includes fixes for the following bugs:
- the "ifdown" script did not shut down bonded interfaces in the correct
order, which caused the "network" init script to become unresponsive during
system shutdown, or upon restarting the "network" service script. With this
updated package, ifdown shuts down bonded interfaces in the correct order,
thus correcting the hang which previously occurred.
- one Dutch string translation asked users to enter either "j" or "n"
(representing "yes" or "no") as an answer to a question about checking the
file system following an unclean shutdown. However, only "y" or "n" are
accepted as user input. In this updated package, the incorrect "j" has been
changed to a "y" in the Dutch translation.
- the LINKDELAY parameter was not taken into account for DHCP connections,
which could have caused network devices to become disabled during the boot
process. LINKDELAY is now taken into account, which resolves this issue.
- /sbin/kmodule is a utility used to probe for kernel modules. The kudzu
program, which is used to detect changes in systems' hardware
configurations, contained a flaw wherein it used the wrong device when
obtaining information about tape devices, and which could have incorrectly
caused tape devices to rewind. This updated initscripts package takes into
account the fix to kudzu, so that it is no longer possible for tape devices
to be rewound when probing a system's hardware configuration.
All users of initscripts are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 237118 - Dutch translation mistake for integrity check
- BZ - 458323 - [Broadcom 4.8 bug] LINKDELAY parameter hasn't been added to network-functions/DHCP script of initscripts in RHEL4
- BZ - 478881 - /sbin/kmodule causes tapes to rewind causing data corruption
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4