RHBA-2009:0973 - Bug Fix Advisory
s390utils bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated s390utils package that fixes various bugs is now available.
The s390utils package contains utilities related to Linux for the IBM S/390
This updated s390utils package includes fixes for the following bugs:
- the dbginfo.sh shell script contained a reference to kernelversion, a
command not included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This would cause dbginfo
to exit before running all tests and report the following errors:
"kernelversion: command not found" and " [: =: unary operator expected". In
this version of s390utils, the dbginfo.sh script has been modified so that
it no longer calls the kernelversion command, thereby avoiding this issue.
The script now works correctly.
- due to a flaw in the way that dasdview parsed input, dasdview used "0" as
the value passed in when called with either the "-s" or the "-b" option and
with a nonsensical argument. Dasdview would therefore present the user with
nonsensical results. The version of dasdview contained in this update
verifies the values supplied with the "-s" and "-b" options. If the value
supplied is invalid, dasdview exits with an error message. If no value
supplied with "-s", dasdview uses a value of "128" (the default for this
option, as detailed in the dasdview documentation).
- the scanner for zipl.conf configuration files (scan.c) did not allow for
the "timeout" option described in the zipl.conf documentation and zipl
would therefore ignore the timeout parameter in the zipl.conf file. This
updated package enables the scanner to recognize the timeout parameter, and
zipl will therefore honor the timeout set by the user.
- due to a flaw in the way that lsdasd evaluated command line options,
lsdasd would only display the final DASD in any list specified by the user
when the command was called with the "-s" option. This flaw has been
corrected, meaning that lsdasd will display all DASDs specified by the
user, whether or not the "-s" option was also used.
- the man pages for dasdfmt and dasdview contain details on two deprecated
options ("-n" and "-f"). Previously, this documentation did not alert users
to the deprecated nature of these options, and could therefore have misled
users to believe that these options were still supported. The updated
documentation included in this package alerts users to the deprecated
nature of these options and provides alternative commands that will achieve
the same results.
All users of s390utils are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- BZ - 243297 - s390utils contains a command, dbginfo.sh, during run it drops two errors - kernelversion not found.
- BZ - 455077 - zipl does not accept timeout parameter in /etc/zipl.conf
- BZ - 458670 - lsdasd does not list all dasds passed as arguments
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4