RHBA-2008:0672 - Bug Fix Advisory
system-config-netboot bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated system-config-netboot package that fixes several bugs and adds
enhancements is now available.
The system-config-netboot utility allows users to configure diskless
environments and network installations.
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- running the mkdiskless script applies several patches to files in the
"/etc/rc.d/*" directories; however, these patches failed to apply, with
errors such as the following:
Hunk #1 FAILED at 243.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 322.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 339.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 808.
In this updated package, the patches have been updated for use with the
current init scripts in the "/etc/rc.d/*" directories, which resolves this
- the pxeos script, "/usr/share/system-config-netboot/pxeos.py", did not
check if a directory that was supposed to store installation images, was
NFS exported. As well, the pxeos script did not check if the required
busybox-anaconda package was installed. In these situations, no errors were
reported. In this updated package, error messages are displayed for these
situations, which resolves this issue.
- the pxeos script did not detect the kernel version, forcing users to
enter it manually. In this updated package, when a kernel is not specified,
the kernel version is detected automatically, otherwise a "Kernel not
specified and no kernels found" warning is displayed.
- clicking on the "IP Address" field in the system-config-netboot GUI
sorted IP addresses alphabetically, instead of numerically. In this
updated package, clicking on the "IP Address" field correctly sorts IP
- in certain situations, the mkdiskless script incorrectly asked users to
set the "$FORCE_DISKLESS" variable. In this updated package, the
documentation has been updated to reflect the correct variable,
- if an X server was not installed, the installation of
system-config-netboot failed due to missing dependencies, even though it
contains command line utilities, such as "pxeos".
- the pxeboot script, "/usr/share/system-config-netboot/pxeboot.py", did
not allow the "NISDOMAIN" option to be set, and, if set, removed
"NISDOMAIN" from "/[diskless]/etc/sysconfig/network". As well, the pxeboot
script did not recognize the documented "-S" option. In this updated
package, the "NISDOMAIN" and "-S" options work as expected.
- the pxeboot script did not print an error when the diskless operating
system, "Operating system identifier", was not specified. In this updated
package, a "You must enter a Operating System Name" warning is displayed.
- after re-syncing, creating a new disk image for the first time using the
mkdiskless script caused a fatal error, such as the following:
ls: ./root/etc/rc.d/rc*.d/[KS]*diskless: No such file or directory
However, the image was created successfully, but the mkdiskless script
returned a non-zero exit code. In this updated package, the mkdiskless
script exits with the correct exit code.
As well, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- the "pxeboot -l" command now displays client IP addresses.
- the system-config-netboot package has been updated with the latest
Users of system-config-netboot are advised to upgrade to this updated
package, which resolves these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- BZ - 174629 - diskless patches do not apply correctly
- BZ - 204015 - Use numberic sort (by octet) to sort IP adresses
- BZ - 204090 - mkdiskless documentation incorrectly states use of $FORCE_DISKLESS instead of $FORCE_MKDISKLESS
- BZ - 212271 - redhat-config-netboot requires X even though there are command line tools like pxeos
- BZ - 222764 - the output of pxeboot -l do not show the IP of the client
- BZ - 410411 - NFS v.4 not available in diskless machines
- BZ - 412401 - mkdiskless should return a valid value on the exit
- BZ - 431876 - update localization
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4