RHBA-2008:0659 - Bug Fix Advisory
autofs5 bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated autofs5 package that fixes various bugs and adds enhancements is
The autofs utility controls the operation of the automount daemon, which
automatically mounts and unmounts file systems.
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- autofs often did not report that a mount request did not find the key in
the automount map.
- during heavy mount and unmount activity, /etc/mtab could become out of
sync with /proc/mounts.
- when mounting a local file system, autofs failed to create mount point
directories for nested and multi-mount map entries.
- for replicated server entries, the NFS version parameter when probing for
availability was sometimes incorrect.
- unmounting large file systems failed due to autofs using a 32 bit version
of the fstat system call.
- autofs issued spurious errors when some file systems were mounted.
- autofs failed to mount NFSv4 mount points when the client was also the
NFSv4 server. Such mounts require the NFS service to be running on the
local machine. Using the "port=[NFS-port]" option, or adding the
"nosymlink" option to the master map entry, prevents autofs from attempting
a "bind" mount.
- autofs was unable to mount map entries that used a macro variable without
an assigned value.
- program map entries were never removed from the internal cache, causing
changes to be ignored.
- mounting a directory owned by a group with a large number of members
caused a "do_mount_indirect: failed to get group info from getgrgid_r"
- when Kerberos authentication was used for maps stored in LDAP, stopping
autofs may have caused a segmentation fault.
- automatic LDAP schema detection is now used when the schema is not set in
- the features section of autofs(5) had a typing error in the wild-card
- using the "--timeout" option with white space did not work correctly.
- autofs failed to start if an "automount" entry was not configured in
- autofs failed to handle map specifications that contained an attribute
value that was the same as a schema attribute.
- autofs could deadlock if multiple simultaneous mount requests were made
for a program map.
- autofs was unable to mount directories from an NFS server when the
directory name contained spaces.
- the "-hosts" inbuilt map incorrectly handled exports with spaces.
- sending a HUP signal to autofs caused the removal of all direct map
- autofs incorrectly parsed LDAP master map entries that contained spaces.
- server probing was done for all mount requests, even if there was only
one mount location.
- by default, the master map names "auto_master" and "auto.master" are now
- if an indirect map key was greater than 255 characters, autofs failed to
- during mounting, if a portmapper communication failure occurred, autofs
- when using sub-mount maps, due to a race condition, a mount and expire
occurring at the same time could cause a segmentation fault.
This updated package adds the following enhancements:
- the logging level can now be changed dynamically while autofs is running.
- if debugging is enabled, restarting the autofs service is now logged.
- autofs now provides similar LDAP functionality to that available for
other services that use nss_ldap.
- a configuration option has been added to control whether global mount
options are appended to or replaced by mount options in individual map
- a "%" prefix can now be used to indicate upper-case characters when using
case-insensitive LDAP schema.
- the "*" character can now be used as a wildcard in LDAP maps.
- random server selection can be used for replicated mount map entries.
Users of autofs5 are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 306611 - autofs-5.0.1-0.rc126.96.36.199.x86_64 segfaults when '/etc/init.d/autofs stop' is run
- BZ - 306631 - autofs reload and condrestart fail if map is originally empty
- BZ - 306701 - autofs version 5 should not require common schema to be pre-configured
- BZ - 322731 - RHEL5 automounter and undefined variables
- BZ - 322751 - minor typo in autofs(5) manpage page in "wildcard" section
- BZ - 425883 - autofs fails if nsswitch.conf doesn't have automount entry
- BZ - 425884 - multi-mount maps fail, can not map a hierarchy
- BZ - 425885 - autofs fails if LDAP attribute value is the same as a standard autofs attribute name
- BZ - 425886 - auto.master(5) needs to document the mount options append entry
- BZ - 425887 - autofs passes a wrong program version to the nfs NULL proc
- BZ - 425888 - autofs should use acturate time when using pthread_cond_timedwait
- BZ - 425889 - Reloading autofs map incorrectly removes all map entries
- BZ - 425891 - autofs should match LDAP wildcard entries with "*" as the key as well as "/"
- BZ - 425892 - Add support for the "%" hack for case insensitive attribute schemas
- BZ - 425898 - automounter load balancing with replicated servers
- BZ - 425900 - [RHEL4] autofs initscript doesn't support '--timeout' with whitespace
- BZ - 425903 - autofs can deadlock with multiple simulaneous access to a program map
- BZ - 425904 - RFE: Allow debugging to be enabled on the fly
- BZ - 425905 - log "/etc/init.d/autofs reload" invocations to the system log
- BZ - 425906 - /etc/init.d/autofs does not handle basedns with spaces
- BZ - 425907 - autofs can return incorrect status from mount under heavy load
- BZ - 425908 - RHEL3 U5: [autofs4] automounter won't use auto_master in LDAP
- BZ - 425909 - Program maps never see changes
- BZ - 425910 - autofs 5 and large groups
- BZ - 425912 - NFS/AutoFS fails to accurately report non-existent mount points
- BZ - 425913 - [RFE] Autofs [4 &amp;&amp; 5]: Remove replicated host testing from default single host mount case
- BZ - 425915 - If a map entry is > 255 chars, automounter fails
- BZ - 425943 - automount: open_mount: (mount):cannot open mount module iso9660 (/usr/lib/autofs/mount_iso9660.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
- BZ - 425945 - CRM #1598404 Automount process shuts down unexpectedly
- BZ - 426495 - Autofs5 failed unmounting Solaris NFS server share
- BZ - 426496 - autofs fails to mount nfs4 when client and server are same machine
- BZ - 426498 - Export directory with spaces in the name causes problems
- BZ - 426500 - /net does not seem to work with 5.0.1-19 or 5.0.2-6
- BZ - 427942 - autofs segfaults (possibly from autofs_sasl_unbind)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4