RHBA-2008:0493 - Bug Fix Advisory
hts bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated hts package that fixes various bugs and adds enhancements is now
The Red Hat Hardware Test Suite (HTS) certifies hardware for Red Hat
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- on certain Itanium(r)-based systems, the memory test was killed with
- fixed "UnicodeDecodeError" errors.
- the "hts plan" command planned USB tests on systems that did not have
- multiple HTS instances were allowed on the same machine, possibly
invalidating tests, or causing resource conflicts. A lock file is now used
to prevent multiple HTS commands from being invoked.
- on certain systems, memory tests may have caused hard locks. As well,
errors such as "*** glibc detected ** bw_mem: munmap_chunk(): invalid
pointer", followed by a traceback, may have occurred.
- a bug in mkisofs caused extra command line output, causing the CD-ROM
test to fail.
- incorrect links in the documentation have been removed.
- if the dmidecode package was installed on Itanium(r)-based systems, the
info test failed, and a dmidecode "/sys/firmware/efi/systab: SMBIOS entry
point missing" error occurred.
- now, the info test always runs first when added as a required test.
- users could not exit when prompted to insert a PCIe ExpressCard, even if
"no" was entered at the "continue?" prompt.
- the storage test did not replace the label on swap partitions if they
existed. This may have lost swap partitions, requiring them to be created
again using "mkswap" and "swapon".
- when a system used an NFS-mounted root file system, and the user
selected not to shutdown and restore the interface that was used to mount
the root file system, the network test failed with a traceback and an
"AttributeError: NetworkTest instance has no attribute 'ipAddress'" error.
- when the battery test failed to detect a discharging battery condition,
a traceback occurred.
- the NFS portion of the network test may have failed with a traceback and
a "Stale NFS file handle" error.
- the memory test may have failed with "malloc: Cannot allocate memory"
errors, when run on IBM S/390 systems that have more than 1 GB of memory.
Per-process memory limits have been added to resolve this issue.
- the network test failed on certain IBM System z systems.
- searching for log markers may have caused a traceback if Unicode decode
errors had previously occurred. Lines containing these errors are now
- the info test did not continue if an error occurred.
- the network test failed on systems using Intel 4965 products. Now, the
test ignores the wmaster[x] interface created for Intel 4965 products. In
the planning phase, wmaster is skipped when planning network tests. In the
certify phase, the network test ignores the wmaster interface when shutting
down interfaces other than the one under test. As well, the Command class
now flushes stderr and stdout.
As well, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- tests now work correctly on disk-less systems.
- the info test now calls "rpm -V" on the hts package. Messages are logged
if this fails.
- the suspend test now runs first.
Memory test revisions:
- the bandwidth and latency tests have been removed (LMbench).
- the calculation of memory sizes has been rewritten. Now, all values are
calculated from "/proc/meminfo".
- the test verifies that there is sufficient swap space before it is run.
If the swap space is not sufficient, the test fails. NFS-mounted root
systems are allowed to run the test with no swap space configured, with
test parameters modified accordingly.
- swap space used by the test is now limited to the lessor of 5% of free
Users of hts are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which resolves
these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 ppc
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 ia64
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 i386
- BZ - 245887 - FEAT RHEL5: Hardware Test Suite for diskless systems
- BZ - 395491 - unicode decode error
- BZ - 400381 - HTS add the USB test suites to test plan on the machine without USB components
- BZ - 410741 - Multiple instances of HTS may be run on the same system
- BZ - 430552 - LTC41392-3950 M2 System hard locks during RH Cert memory test
- BZ - 432025 - Bug in mkisofs causes dvd+-rw test to fail
- BZ - 433415 - hts-5.1-18 and related rpm have version control issue.
- BZ - 433731 - If dmidecode package is installed on an ia64 server, INFO test fails
- BZ - 434855 - Info always run 1st
- BZ - 434860 - Users cannot exit ExpressCard testing loop, even if 'no' entered at 'continue?' prompt
- BZ - 438235 - Red Hat Cert fails on eth0 network test
- BZ - 438368 - battery test traceback on discharge try limit failure
- BZ - 438375 - network test traceback when checking time
- BZ - 442085 - info test does not log self-verification failures
- BZ - 442739 - unicode decode error causes traceback
- BZ - 445914 - hts info test should continue to execute all checks and info gatherings even if an error is encountered
- BZ - 446268 - network test will fail on intel 4965
Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5