RHBA-2008:0353 - Bug Fix Advisory
rgmanager bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated rgmanager package that fixes several bugs and adds enhancements
is now available.
The rgmanager package contains the Red Hat Resource Group Manager, which
provides high availability for critical server applications in the event of
planned or unplanned system downtime.
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- "vm.sh" used a depreciated 'restart="never"' option when running the "xm
create" command. Creating a new domain failed with a "Error: Invalid event
handling mode: shutdown" error.
- in certain situations, if two or more nodes used a shared GFS file
system, services using the GFS file system correctly started on one node,
but failed to start on the others. In this updated package, rgmanager
checks if a GFS file system a service requires is already mounted, before
attempting to mount it, which resolves this issue.
- stopping a service that used a shared GFS file system unmounted the
GFS file system, even when other services were using it.
- clulog did not honor rgmanager log levels. For example, if the log level
was set to 7, running "clulog -s 7 [test]" did not produce a log message.
- in certain situations, starting a cluster via luci resulted in clurgmgr
causing a segmentation fault.
- the clusvcadm man page has been updated.
- the default migration policy has been changed from "paused" to "live".
- the "clustat" output was cut to an unreadable length.
- extraneous errors during highly available LVM operations have been
- the highly available LVM service failed to relocate during I/O
- the "clusvcadm" command ignored the "-F" and "-m" options. This made it
only possible to start services on a local node. In this updated package,
the "-F" and "-m" options work as expected.
- it was possible to migrate a virtual machine to itself using the
"clusvcadm -M" command. This could cause virtual machines to get stuck in
the migrating state. In this updated package, it is not longer possible
to migrate a virtual machine to itself.
- in certain situations, a bug in rgmanager caused rgmanager to crash
during restart. This has been resolved in this updated package.
As well, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- a resource agent for named has been added.
- rgmanager now supports "hard" and "soft" dependencies. For example, if
service "A" has a "hard" dependency on service "B", service "A" must be
stopped if service "B" fails. As well, if service "A" has a "soft"
dependency on service "B", then service "A" must be started after service
"B", but would be able to recover by itself if service "B" failed.
- a resource agent for Oracle Database 10g Release 2 has been added.
- restart counters have been added. Use the 'max_restarts="[x]"' and
'restart_expire_time="[x]"' options in "cluster.conf". This allows services
to be relocated, instead of restarted.
- highly available LVM now allows multiple LVs and VGs, as long as they are
- it is now possible to mount Samba shares from the NetFS resource agent.
- follow logic can now be configured. For example, if a server is running
on node A, and a replication service is running on node B, if node A fails,
the server service is started on node B, before being moved to another
- support has been added for a Sybase failover agent.
Users of rgmanager are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability for x86_64 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability for x86_64 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability for x86_64 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability for x86_64 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server) from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server) from RHUI 5 i386
- BZ - 245178 - Resource agent for named
- BZ - 247866 - xm create command line from vm.sh is wrong
- BZ - 254110 - failed start of service because shared resource gfs already mounted
- BZ - 254111 - rgmanager umounts shared partition gfs although its used by another service
- BZ - 289501 - clulog doesn't honor cluster configuration specification of log level in all cases
- BZ - 303981 - clurgmgr sefaults upon startup after cluster is stopped
- BZ - 324151 - clusvcadm man page appears to be incorrect
- BZ - 384461 - service: prefix tag surplus clustat clurgmgrd display double
- BZ - 400211 - RFE: Provide a method to fail over a service to another node after X number of restarts.
- BZ - 427378 - HA LVM should allow multiple LVs/VG as long as they move together
- BZ - 428346 - RFE: clean up errors during ha lvm operations
- BZ - 428448 - HA LVM service fails to relocate when I/O is running
- BZ - 430220 - clusvcadm is ignoring -F and -m options
- BZ - 430272 - migrate-to-self allowed
- BZ - 432998 - inability to kill all i/o processes before fs relocation can cause 'recoverying' service
- BZ - 438816 - HA LVM: lvm_by_vg.sh is stripping tags from all the VGs and not from only the configured one.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability for x86_64 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server) from RHUI 5