RHBA-2007:0786 - Bug Fix Advisory
coreutils bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated coreutils packages that fix several bugs are now available.
The coreutils package contains core GNU utilities. It is the combination of
the old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
These updated packages fix the following bugs:
- running the chgrp command on a symbolic link caused the User ID (UID) of
the link to be copied to the target. If the target was owned by user and
group "a", and the link owned by user and group "b", running the "chgrp b"
command on the symbolic link would cause the target to be owned by user and
group "b", instead of user "a" and group "b".
- using the su command to switch to a user whose account had expired caused
a "Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator su:
incorrect password" error. The root user can now switch to expired user
- the stat command returned a zero (success) exit code even when the target
file or directory did not exist.
- due to a buffer handling problem in the csplit command, piping sed output
to csplit may have caused corrupt output.
- running simultaneous "rm -rf" commands on the root of a deep directory
could cause one of the rm commands to segfault.
- in certain circumstances, the "du -sk" command caused a segmentation
fault when run in a Network File System (NFS) mounted directory, which
contained a large number of files or directories, or both. The following
error occurred in these circumstances:
du: fts_read failed: Stale NFS file handle
- ** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (top): [hexadecimal
(The value of [hexadecimal address] would be different in each error).
The du command now handles these situations correctly.
- the du command did not count the size of unreadable sub-directories (ie
directories it did not have read and execute permissions to) into the
total. The total from the du command now includes the size of unreadable
All coreutils users should upgrade to these updated packages, which resolve
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 215373 - chgrp alters uid of a file when run on symlinks
- BZ - 231019 - stat returns incorrect exit status
- BZ - 238121 - rm can segfault when racing another rm to delete a directory
- BZ - 250077 - RHEL4 du doesn't report size of unreadable sub directories
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4