RHBA-2007:0471 - Bug Fix Advisory
glibc bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated glibc packages that address several bugs are now available.
The GNU libc packages (known as glibc) contain the standard C libraries
used by applications.
This erratum applies the following fixes in the GNU C Library:
- aio_return fix in librtkaio.
- getgrouplist fix if called with *ngroups == 0.
- non-existent or broken libs from LD_PRELOAD are not considered fatal.
- /etc/ld.so.preload errors are not considered fatal.
- regcomp/regexec fixes for non-UTF-8 multi-byte locales.
- assorted NIS+ client fixes and speedups, including caching of NIS+
servers and DES keys.
- when changing NIS+ servers, touch /var/nis/NIS_COLD_START will
immediately flush the cache, or it will expire after the expiration
timeout specified when setting up the NIS+ servers.
- getent hosts fix for hostnames starting with a digit.
- limit the number of sort iterations in malloc to avoid unsorted block
consolidation taking too much time.
- fix :include: handling for /etc/alias.
- xdrmem_setpos fix for buffers in the middle of address space.
- hasmntopt fix.
- pthread_mutex_timedlock fix on x86_64.
All users of glibc should upgrade to these updated packages, which apply
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 184086 - aio_return incorrectly returns 0 sometimes
- BZ - 205358 - [RHEL3] getent returns nothing if the host starts by a number 
- BZ - 223467 - NIS+ passwd netgroups support creates loads of connection to server
This erratum does not contain any packages.