RHBA-2006:0364 - Bug Fix Advisory
samba bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated Samba packages that fix various bugs are now available.
Samba is the protocol by which a lot of PC-related machines share files,
printers, and other information (such as lists of available files and
printers). The Windows NT, OS/2, and Linux operating systems support this
natively, and add-on packages can enable the same thing for DOS, Windows,
VMS, UNIX of all kinds, MVS, and more. This package provides an SMB server
that can be used to provide network services to SMB (sometimes called "Lan
Manager") clients. Samba uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) protocols and
does NOT need the NetBEUI (Microsoft Raw NetBIOS frame) protocol.
These updated packages address the following issues:
- Attempts to use Samba after implementing quotas failed because of
an incorrect constant declaration
- The license on the crc32.c file was unclear, and has been replaced
with a clearer and more open-source friendly version
- Under some circumstances, when using the recycle bin VFS module, the
modification and access times of a file could change when it was sent to
the recycle bin, and an error message appeared in the Samba log files.
All users of Samba should upgrade to these updated packages, which resolve
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 169865 - utime fails when group member moves file to the recycle bin
- BZ - 179103 - v2 quota support is broken