RHBA-2005:187 - Bug Fix Advisory
gdb bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated gdb package that fixes various bugs is now available.
GDB, the GNU debugger, allows debugging of programs written in C, C++,
and other languages, by executing them in a controlled fashion, and then
printing their data.
This updated package addresses the following issues:
- Single stepping of a thread exit would hang GDB. The problem where a
single-step off the end of a thread would hang gdb has been fixed.
- DW_AT_type <0> debug info would confuse GDB. Intel's ICC compiler
generates this debug info type. GDB now ignores it.
- GDB was not able to find source code when the executable moved. The problem
with GDB not locating the original source when items were moved from their
build location has been fixed.
- GDB could not backtrace from system calls for code in the "vsyscall"
page. The code for backtracing out of the vsyscall page was only enabled on
the i386 architecture. It is now enabled across all architectures.
- Multilib conflicts (e.g., /usr/share/info/annotate.info.gz) have been
fixed, which include 32-bit and 64-bit GDBs.
- GCC generated two copies of a constructor resulting in erroneous GDB
behavior. Various segmentation faults and a strange ?HERE message in a
constructor breakpoint list have been fixed. A problem where GDB could not
correctly set a breakpoint has been fixed for all instances of a C++
All users of gdb should upgrade to this updated package, which resolves
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 117826 - CRM #310828: gcc/c++ produces 2 copies of constructors on RHEL 3
- BZ - 133909 - Segfault in ambiguous_line_spec (C++)
- BZ - 142122 - [PATCH] gdb fails to find files in certain cases
- BZ - 146087 - Can't debug 32 bit apps running on x86_64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3