RHBA-2005:184 - Bug Fix Advisory
crash bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated crash package that adds support for ppc64 and fixes various bugs
is now available.
The core analysis suite is a self-contained tool that can be used to
investigate either live systems, kernel core dumps created from the
netdump and diskdump packages from Red Hat Linux, the mcore kernel patch
offered by Mission Critical Linux, or the LKCD kernel patch.
This updated package addresses the following issues:
- Processor support for ppc64 architectures has been added to the crash
utility to read and analyze the dumpfiles, as well as live systems.
- Crash dumps can now be created by pressing the INIT switch on Itanium
machines. The crash "bt" (backtrace) command did not work correctly due to
the starting point of the backtrace. It was not executed on the current
process's kernel stack as in the normal case, but rather on a newly
introduced per-cpu init_handler stack.
- An SMP kernel running with maxcpus=1 on AMD64 architectures caused the
exception stack address gathering code to fail because the location of the
exception stack differed on single vs. multiprocessor kernels.
- A bt hang was the result of an IP interrupt being sent from a diskdump
process. This was then being sent to one of the other CPUs catching a
process just after it had entered the kernel to do a system_call, but
before it had a chance to call the actual system call handler function.
All users of crash should upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 139429 - [RHEL3-U4][INIT switch] bt command doesn't work
- BZ - 139435 - [RHEL3-U4][crash] crash doesn't work with maxcpus=1 on SMP kernel
- BZ - 139437 - [RHEL3-U4][crash] bt -a hangs
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3