RHBA-2004:224 - Bug Fix Advisory
Updated openldap packages available
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated openldap packages that correct a bug which causes libldap
applications to crash unexpectedly are now available.
OpenLDAP is an open source suite of LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol) applications and development tools. LDAP is a set of
protocols for accessing directory services (usually phone book style
information) over the Internet, similar to the way DNS (Domain Name System)
information is propagated over the Internet. The openldap packages contain
configuration files, libraries, and documentation for OpenLDAP.
These updated openldap packages fix a bug when version 2.0 of the
openldap client libraries are built with version 0.9.7 of the openssl
libraries. This bug causes clients to crash when attempting to validate
SSL certificates containing subjectAltName attributes.
Users of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and Red Hat Desktop version 3 should
upgrade to these updated packages.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 111492 - [PATCH] LDAP clients segfault with subjectAltName entries in TLS cert
- BZ - 131550 - Update 3 OpenLDAP packages can't access data
This erratum does not contain any packages.