RHBA-2003:369 - Bug Fix Advisory
Updated util-linux packages include ipcs(8), login(1) fixes
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated util-linux packages that include bugfixes for the ipcs and login
utility programs are now available.
The util-linux package includes many utility programs necessary for the
proper functioning of a Linux system.
Among these programs are ipcs(8) and login(1):
- The ipcs program (which displays information related to interprocess
communication) incorrectly displays negative memory sizes.
- The login program (which allows users to gain access to the system) does
not handle signals correctly, causing some programs to stay running after
the user has logged out.
Users should install the erratum packages, which resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- BZ - 54741 - telnet malfunction after upgrade to util-linux-2.11f-11.7.1
- BZ - 84243 - ipcs -l shows negative total shared memory
- BZ - 86285 - ipcs shows negative memory size
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2