RHBA-2003:294 - Bug Fix Advisory
New strace package fixes numerous bugs
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated strace packages that fix all known serious bugs and removes an
internal limitation are now available.
The strace program intercepts and records the system calls that are called
and the signals that are received by processes.
A variety of problems with older versions of strace have been observed.
These include errors in strace output, crashes, and bugs resulting in
interference in programs.
Additionally, prior versions of strace were able to trace a maximum of 64
processes or threads simultaneously when using the -f flag; this limit can
be a problem when using the strace utility to debug multithreaded programs.
Users of strace should install these updated packages, which resolve these
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- BZ - 79782 - strace fails to resume processes (i.e. httpd/sexec)
- BZ - 79796 - RFE: Allow strace to attach to greater than 64 processes
- BZ - 80264 - strace -f breaks WNOHANG
- BZ - 84211 - Uknown/undecoded system calls in strace output
- BZ - 105358 - strace does not display all possible ioctl names
- BZ - 105359 - RFE: better ugid32 syscalls support
- BZ - 105366 - RFE: correct strace behaviour for piped output
- BZ - 108012 - recompile fails due to HZ not being constant anymore
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2