You no longer need to choose between the cloud and your data center — or between your Windows environment and your Linux systems for scalable open source applications. Your Microsoft Azure public cloud can expand to host a catalogue of open source technologies, from rapid-scale developer tools to production application support.
The Red Hat and Microsoft partnership certifies that Red Hat offerings have been validated in Microsoft Azure. Support paths have been established to ensure continuity of service if issues arise, and management and update mechanisms are integrated for full life-cycle support.More about our partnership
There are two primary ways to use Red Hat products in Azure.
Red Hat Cloud Access
Red Hat Cloud Access provides subscription portability for Red Hat customers who want to use their eligible product subscriptions in a public cloud.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux On-Demand
Red Hat Enterprise Linux is available on-demand with pay-as-you-go pricing in the Azure Marketplace for customers who want deployment flexibility.
Getting started with Red Hat Enterprise Linux in Microsoft Azure
Customers who want to migrate a RHEL subscription to Azure, follow the steps outlined below.
Customers who want to use RHEL on demand, see Creating a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Virtual Machine in Microsoft Azure Using an On-Demand Marketplace RHEL Image.
Create a virtual machine.
Configure the virtual machine.
Customize the RHEL VM image so you can convert it to the Microsoft Azure image format.
- Frequently Asked Questions and Recommended Practices for Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure Troubleshooting
- Installing Red Hat CloudForms on Microsoft Azure
- Deploying Red Hat Gluster Storage on a Public Cloud
- OpenShift Container Platform 3.0 through 4.1 Documentation
- OpenShift Container Platform 3.11 Day 2 Operations Guide
- Video: OpenShift on Azure using QuickStarts
- Using JBoss EAP on Microsoft Azure
- Using .NET Core in OpenShift Container Platform
.NET CORE on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat and Microsoft are partnering to bring .NET Core to our joint customers.
Red Hat and Microsoft support .NET Core integration with Red Hat solutions for enhanced integration of Red Hat CloudForms with System Center VMM. This is great for consistent workload management in a hybrid environment.
Users of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and RHEL-based Red Hat products can develop and run .NET Core applications directly on RHEL 7 and 8, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host and Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform. You can get .NET Core as a collection of RPMs or as a source-to-image- (S2I-) compatible docker container, which can also be used in OpenShift Container Platform.
Red Hat conducted a .NET Core on RHEL webinar last year to demonstrate why developers should use .NET Core to develop applications. Even though .NET Core continues to evolve since then, the three-part video series provides a solid introduction to the open source version of the .NET framework.
Red Hat and Microsoft jointly engineer, ship, and support Microsoft .NET Core on:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and 8
- Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
See Red Hat Developers to learn more about building with .NET Core on the proven and trusted Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
How Can We Help You?
Microsoft customers should only access Red Hat support if directed by your Microsoft Azure platform support engineer.
As part of this effort Red Hat:
- Provides customers with security advisories and updates that are easily accessible.
- Investigates and addresses security issues.
- Provides timely fixes for security issues.
- Proactively address customer exposure, often before issues arise.
- Tracks alerts and security issues from the community.
RED HAT PARTICIPATION IN AZURE FORUMS
The Microsoft Community Forums (TechNET and MSDN) are public-facing engagement platforms where Microsoft and Red Hat resources can jointly respond to and provide solutions for inquiries related to Red Hat products running within the Azure Cloud Fabric.
Red Hat resources have been granted elevated roles within forums to provide a greater level of authenticity for the information and solutions being offered as well as the opportunity to demonstrate the extent of the partnership.
See the Customer Platform Blog for more information.
Portal integration ensures that a customer consuming on-demand content will be able to open a case with Red Hat.
- Red Hat monitors and responds to questions in Microsoft’s forums.
- Red Hat has a presence in MSDN and Stack Overflow forums and is initially monitoring MSDN and Stack Overflow’s Linux forums.
- Red Hat may create new Red Hat forums if there is sufficient volume.
- Portal integration places a RHEL subscription in the customer's user account that has been mapped to their Azure subscription.