5.282. rhn-client-tools and yum-rhn-plugin
Updated rhn-client-tools and yum-rhn-plugin packages that fix several bugs and add two enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The rhn-client-tools and yum-rhn-plugin packages provide programs and libraries that allow a system to receive software updates from Red Hat Network or Red Hat Network Satellite.
- When a client was set up to connect to a server using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol and the validation of the server's SSL certificate failed, an
SSLCertificateVerifyFailedErrorexception was raised and a traceback was written to the
/var/log/up2datefile. This update corrects the exception handling mechanism to ensure that a proper error message is displayed in this scenario.
- The previous version of yum-rhn-plugin did not properly clean its cache, which may have caused various misleading messages to be displayed during subsequent Yum operations. To prevent this behavior, this update ensures that yum-rhn-plugin cleans its cache properly.
- When using the firstboot application to register the system with RHN Classic, entering incorrect credentials previously resulted in a traceback. With this update, an explanatory error message is displayed in this situation.
- When a virtual host was registered with Red Hat Network Satellite and the user attempted to register a virtual guest, the
rhn_registerutility did not associate the guest with the virtual host. Consequent to this, the virtual host appeared to have no virtual guests. This update ensures that
rhn_registercorrectly pairs the guest with the managed virtual host.
- When a client was banned due to abuse of service, an attempt to run the previous version of the
rhn-channelutility failed with both a traceback and an error message. With this update, the utility now displays only the error message.
- Previously, running the
rhnreg_ksutility with a relative path to the SSL certificate caused it to store this relative path in the configuration file. Consequently, an attempt to run any other utility that uses this configuration file from a different directory rendered such a utility unable to open the certificate. This update adapts
rhnreg_ksto store an absolute path.
- The web user interface of Red Hat Network Satellite now displays the BIOS version of managed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 clients, as expected.
- When Red Hat Subscription Manager was installed but the user decided to register the system with RHN Classic, Red Hat Subscription Manager incorrectly reported that the system in non-compliant. With this update, when the user registers a system with RHN Classic, the
rhn_registertools now notify Red Hat Subscription Manager over D-Bus.
- When the user attempted to register a system with RHN Classic and provided invalid credentials, the
rhn_registerutility reported an error at the very end of the registration process. This update adapts
rhn_registerto report invalid credentials immediately.
- Previously, the presence of Unicode characters in a localized error message caused an additional traceback to be displayed. With this update, error messages are encoded in UTF-8 before they are printed to standard error.
- Prior to this update, when the user disabled a channel in the
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/rhnplugin.confconfiguration file, a subsequent update of the yum-rhn-plugin package re-enabled this channel. This update ensures that such configuration changes are persistent.
- Due to a new layout of the Python modules for Red Hat Subscription Manager, the firstboot application did not skip the login screen when the system was already registered. This update corrects this error.
- Due to an error in the list of required packages, an attempt to run the
rhn-setuputility on a system without the newt-python package installed could fail with an
ImportError. This update adds newt-python as a dependency of the rhn-client-tools package.
- Under certain circumstances, the
rhn_checkutility could incorrectly report an attempt to update already updated packages as failed. To prevent this, yum-rhn-plugin has been adapted to ensure that packages that are already updated are properly removed from the list of packages that are scheduled for an update.
rhn_checkutility no longer displays debugging messages without a space after the
- BZ#751292, BZ#759786
- When the network connection is reset by peer or a general network error occurs, yum-rhn-plugin now displays an explanatory error message and no longer fails with a traceback.
All users of rhn-client-tools and yum-rhn-plugin are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add these enhancements.
Updated yum-rhn-plugin packages that fix one bug are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Extended Update Support.
The yum-rhn-plugin package provides support for connecting to Red Hat Network (RHN). Systems registered with RHN are able to update and install packages from Red Hat Network.
- The RHN Proxy did not work properly if separated from a parent by a slow enough network. Consequently, users who attempted to download larger repodata files and RPMs experienced timeouts. This update changes both RHN Proxy and Red Hat Enterprise Linux RHN Client to allow all communications to obey a configured timeout value for connections.
Users of yum-rhn-plugin are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix this bug.