Show Table of Contents
Updated python-virtinst packages that fix several bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The python-virtinst package contains several command line utilities, including virt-install for building and installing new virtual machines, and virt-clone for cloning existing virtual machines.
- Previously, some special characters could not be included in virtual machine descriptions in virt-manager (the Virtual Machine Manager graphical tool for administration of virtual machines). Saving a description containing such characters failed and the following error message was reported:
Error changing VM configuration: 'NoneType' object is not callableThis update fixes the error so that descriptions containing special characters can be saved correctly and the error message no longer occurrs.
- Previously, creation of guests in a multi-threaded application like virt-manager sometimes failed with the following error message:
RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iterationThis was caused by improper locking of internal virtinst state. This update fixes the error and as a result, the aforementioned error no longer occurs when creating guests in multi-threaded applications.
- Previously, incorrect IDs were generated by virt-manager for newly created virtio hard disks when 26 or more virtio hard disks were already created. Consequently, creation of the 27th virtio hard disk failed with the following error message:
Error adding device: An error occurred, but the cause is unknownThis update ensures that virt-manager generates correct IDs for all virtio hard disks. As a result, creation of virtio hard disks is possible up to the supported virtio hard disk limit.
- Prior to this update, Japanese translation of the --help message for virt-clone was incomplete and a part of it was displayed in English. Also, the meter message for cloning progress in virt-clone displayed unknown characters when viewed in a terminal window of a certain size. This update fixes both problems and ensures that both messages are now translated and displayed correctly.
- Prior to this update, virt-manager expected a string value when returning virtual machine descriptions. However, virtual machines created with virt-manager-0.9.0-7.el6 or older did not have any description, and therefore returned a "None" value instead. Consequently, loading of guests created with virt-manager-0.9.0-7.el6 or older using a newer version failed with the following error message:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace'This update adds a return value check to the operation of loading defined guests and ensures backward compatibility of guests created with virt-manager-0.9.0-7.el6 or older. As a result, these guests are now loaded correctly.
- Prior to this update, virt-clone recognized only the "xen" and "qemu" domain types, while "xen" was the default. Consequently, when "kvm" was specified as a domain type of a cloned virtual machine, virt-clone did not recognize the domain type and used "xen" instead. This update adds support for the "kvm" domain type. As a result, "kvm" is now recognized when specified as a domain type.
All users of python-virtinst are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs.