2.2. Installing Virtualization Packages on an Existing Red Hat Enterprise Linux System
subscription-manager registercommand and follow the prompts. Alternatively, run the Red Hat Subscription Manager application from → on the desktop to register.
2.2.1. Installing Virtualization Packages Manually
- qemu-kvm: This package provides the user-level KVM emulator and facilitates communication between hosts and guest virtual machines.
- qemu-img: This package provides disk management for guest virtual machines.
NoteThe qemu-img package is installed as a dependency of the qemu-kvm package.
- libvirt: This package provides the server and host-side libraries for interacting with hypervisors and host systems, and the
libvirtddaemon that handles the library calls, manages virtual machines, and controls the hypervisor.
yum install qemu-kvm libvirt
- virt-install: This package provides the
virt-installcommand for creating virtual machines from the command line.
- libvirt-python: This package contains a module that permits applications written in the Python programming language to use the interface supplied by the libvirt API.
- virt-manager: This package provides the virt-manager tool, also known as Virtual Machine Manager. This is a graphical tool for administering virtual machines. It uses the libvirt-client library as the management API.
- libvirt-client: This package provides the client-side APIs and libraries for accessing libvirt servers. The libvirt-client package includes the
virshcommand-line tool to manage and control virtual machines and hypervisors from the command line or a special virtualization shell.
yum install virt-install libvirt-python virt-manager virt-install libvirt-client
2.2.2. Installing Virtualization Package Groups
Table 2.1. Virtualization Package Groups
|Package Group||Description||Mandatory Packages||Optional Packages|
| ||Smallest possible virtualization host installation||libvirt, qemu-kvm, qemu-img||qemu-kvm-tools|
| ||Clients for installing and managing virtualization instances||gnome-boxes, virt-install, virt-manager, virt-viewer, qemu-img||virt-top, libguestfs-tools, libguestfs-tools-c|
| ||Provides an interface for accessing and controlling virtual machines and containers||libvirt, libvirt-client, virt-who, qemu-img||fence-virtd-libvirt, fence-virtd-multicast, fence-virtd-serial, libvirt-cim, libvirt-java, libvirt-snmp, perl-Sys-Virt|
| ||Tools for offline virtual image management||libguestfs, qemu-img||libguestfs-java, libguestfs-tools, libguestfs-tools-c|
yum groupinstall package_groupcommand. Use the
--optionaloption to install the optional packages in the package group. For example, to install the
Virtualization Toolspackage group with all of its optional packages, run:
yum groupinstall "Virtualization Tools" --optional