Chapter 14. Activating the subscriptions service
If the subscriptions service is not activated by one of the tasks that include automatic activation, then the subscriptions service must be manually activated. Tasks that include automatic activation are purchasing an On-Demand subscription through Red Hat Marketplace or creating an Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure source that includes the RHEL management bundle through the sources application in the Hybrid Cloud Console.
If manual activation is needed, the subscriptions service must be activated by a user with access to the Red Hat account and organization through a Red Hat Customer Portal login. This login is not required to be a Red Hat Customer Portal organization administrator (org admin). In addition, that user must also have the Subscriptions administrator role or the Subscriptions user role in the user access role-based access control (RBAC) system for cloud.redhat.com.
If a Red Hat Customer Portal login is associated with an organization that does not have an account relationship with Red Hat, then the subscriptions service cannot be activated.
When the subscriptions service is activated, the Cloud Services platform tools begin analyzing and processing data from the data collection tools for display in the subscriptions service.
The following procedure guides you through the steps to activate the subscriptions service from cloud.redhat.com. If the subscriptions service is not already activated, you can also access the activation page at the conclusion of the subscriptions service tour or from an option on the Subscription Central page.
- In a browser window, go to cloud.redhat.com.
- If prompted, enter your Red Hat Customer Portal login credentials.
- In the Hybrid Cloud Console navigation menu, click either Red Hat Enterprise Linux or OpenShift.
Expand Subscriptions. Then click one of the following options, depending on the product name that you clicked in the previous step.
- For Red Hat Enterprise Linux, click All RHEL.
- For OpenShift, click Container Platform
Complete one of the following steps, depending on the status of the subscriptions service activation:
- If the subscriptions service is not yet active for the account, the activation page displays. Click Activate Subscriptions.
- If the subscriptions service is activated but not yet ready to display data, the subscriptions service application opens, but it displays an empty graph. Try accessing the subscriptions service later, typically the next day.
- If the subscriptions service is activated and the initial data processing is complete, the subscriptions service application opens and displays data on the graph. You can begin using the subscriptions service to view data about subscription usage and capacity for the account.
Data processing for the initial display of the subscriptions service can take up to 24 hours. Until data for the account is ready, only an empty graph will display.