Chapter 1. Purpose of this document
In this document, we offer a validated, private cloud solution for running Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 4.6 and 4.7 on Red Hat OpenStack Platform 16.1.
Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, Red Hat OpenStack Platform, and Red Hat Ceph Storage are the key architecture components of our solution.
This document is not an implementation guide, but a supplement to product documentation. You can find complete, supported, and fully tested individual product documentation for all three architecture components in the Additional Resources section.
1.1. Red Hat tested solution
This document presents our recommended practices for an OpenShift on OpenStack solution. We analyse each component and explain the options. We then highlight that selection for implementation.
Unlike previous versions, this document does not demonstrate step-by-step implementation steps for those selections. Instead, all recommendations made are tested together, in a lab, by Red Hat’s OpenShift on OpenStack Quality Engineering (QE) team.
This document reflects a truly working and tested solution.
For specific implementation steps and procedures, Red Hat product documentation has the details required for a successful deployment. Combined with the review and testing assurances from this solution document, we are able to provide a truly holistic and practical solution to form the basis of any OpenShift on OpenStack implementation.
Testing is limited to lab-scale and example workloads. While all efforts are made to simulate real-world conditions, it is recommended that customers reviewing this solution carry out their own testing using their specific workloads and requirements.
1.2. Target use cases
Enterprise, Telco IT, Government, and IT Service Provider organizations can use this solution. We show you how to implement a Private Cloud with the following programmable capabilities:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Containers as a Service (CaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
This solution targets key use cases such as software developer cloud, web, mobile, AI/ML, and analytics workloads.
1.3. Solution benefits for IT and business
Red Hat’s tested solution for implementing OpenShift on OpenStack has the following benefits:
- Accelerated time to value and innovation. A fully tested and validated solution saves time that has historically been required to design, deploy, and test a full solution stack composed of several products from Red Hat and our ecosystem partners.
- Simpler deployments with lower risks. This solution presents a holistic starting point for a full solution stack. This is a highly prescriptive solution to build upon.
- Quality engineering and testing. Red Hat has fully tested this solution and supports these recommendations.