7.10. Creating a Virtual Machine Based on a Template
Create a virtual machine from a template to enable the virtual machines to be pre-configured with an operating system, network interfaces, applications and other resources.
Virtual machines created from a template depend on that template. This means that you cannot remove a template from the Manager if a virtual machine was created from that template. However, you can clone a virtual machine from a template to remove the dependency on that template. See Section 7.11, “Creating a Cloned Virtual Machine Based on a Template” for more information.
Creating a Virtual Machine Based on a Template
- Click Compute → Virtual Machines.
- Click New.
- Select the Cluster on which the virtual machine will run.
- Select a template from the Template list.
- Enter a Name, Description, and any Comments, and accept the default values inherited from the template in the rest of the fields. You can change them if needed.
- Click the Resource Allocation tab.
- Select the Thin or Clone radio button in the Storage Allocation area. If you select Thin, the disk format is QCOW2. If you select Clone, select either QCOW2 or Raw for disk format.
- Use the Target drop-down list to select the storage domain on which the virtual machine’s virtual disk will be stored.
- Click OK.
The virtual machine is displayed in the Virtual Machines tab.