Chapter 3. Fast-forwarding Red Hat Virtualization from 4.0 to 4.3
Red Hat Virtualization 4.3 and later does not support 4.0 cluster compatibility version or data center compatibility version. So when you upgrade from Red Hat Virtualization 4.0, you must update the cluster and data center compatibility versions to at least 4.1 before you upgrade the Manager from 4.2 to 4.3. Then, if you want to use the 4.3 compatibility version, update the compatibility versions again after completing the Manager upgrades.
You must also update the hosts before updating the compatibility versions, but only need to do so once. The host repositories stay the same across Red Hat Virtualization versions, so the hosts will already be upgraded to the latest version after a single update.
Upgrading your environment from 4.0 to 4.3 involves the following steps:
- Make sure you meet the prerequisites.
- Update the compatibility version of the clusters to 4.2.
- Reboot any running or suspended virtual machines to update their configuration to 4.2.
- Update the compatibility version of the data centers to 4.2.
ovirt-fast-forward-upgradeand continue the upgrade. The tool upgrades the Manager to 4.3.
- Update the compatibility version of the cluster to the latest version.
- Reboot any running or suspended virtual machines to update their configuration to the latest version.
- Update the compatibility version of the data centers to the latest version.
- Update the hosts.
- Replace SHA-1 certificates with SHA-256 certificates.
- Plan for any necessary virtual machine downtime. After you update the clusters' compatibility versions during the upgrade, a new hardware configuration is automatically applied to each virtual machine once it reboots. You must reboot any running or suspended virtual machines as soon as possible to apply the configuration changes.
- Ensure your environment meets the requirements for Red Hat Virtualization 4.3. For a complete list of prerequisites, see the Planning and Prerequisites Guide.
- Ensure the hosts have the correct repositories enabled. For the list of required repositories, see Enabling the Red Hat Virtualization Host Repository for RHVH, or Enabling the Red Hat Enterprise Linux host Repositories for RHEL host.