Chapter 9. Upgrading a Remote Database Environment from 4.0 to Red Hat Virtualization 4.3
The 4.0 compatibility version is not supported after Red Hat Virtualization 4.2. Therefore, when upgrading from Red Hat Virtualization 4.0 you must update the cluster and data center compatibility versions to at least 4.1 before upgrading the Manager from 4.2 to 4.3, then update the compatibility versions again after completing the Manager upgrades.
You must also update the hosts before updating the compatibility versions, but only need to do so once. The host repositories stay the same across Red Hat Virtualization versions, so the hosts will already be upgraded to the latest version after a single update.
Upgrading your environment from 4.0 to 4.3 involves the following steps:
- Make sure you meet the prerequisites, including enabling the correct repositories
- Update the 4.0 Manager to the latest version of 4.0
- Upgrade the Manager from 4.0 to 4.1
- Upgrade the database from PostgreSQL 9.2 to 9.5
- Upgrade the Manager from 4.1 to 4.2
- Update the hosts
- Update the compatibility version of the clusters to 4.2
- Reboot any running or suspended virtual machines to update their configuration to 4.2
- Update the compatibility version of the data centers to 4.2
- Upgrade the database from PostgreSQL 9.5 to 10.0
- Upgrade the Manager from 4.2 to 4.3
- Update the compatibility version of the clusters to the latest version
- Reboot any running or suspended virtual machines to update their configuration to the latest version
- Update the compatibility version of the data centers to the latest version
- Replace SHA-1 certificates with SHA-256 certificates
- Plan for any necessary virtual machine downtime. After you update the clusters' compatibility versions during the upgrade, a new hardware configuration is automatically applied to each virtual machine once it reboots. You must reboot any running or suspended virtual machines as soon as possible to apply the configuration changes.
- Ensure your environment meets the requirements for Red Hat Virtualization 4.3. For a complete list of prerequisites, see the Planning and Prerequisites Guide.
- Ensure the hosts have the correct repositories enabled. For the list of required repositories, see Enabling the Red Hat Virtualization Host Repository for RHVH, or Enabling the Red Hat Enterprise Linux host Repositories for RHEL host.
- Ensure the Manager has the correct repositories enabled. For the list of required repositories, see Subscribing to the Required Entitlements for Red Hat Virtualization 4.0.