15.4. Adding Self-Hosted Engine Nodes to the Red Hat Virtualization Manager
Self-hosted engine nodes are added in the same way as a standard host, with an additional step to deploy the host as a self-hosted engine node. The shared storage domain is automatically detected and the node can be used as a failover host to host the Manager virtual machine when required. You can also attach standard hosts to a self-hosted engine environment, but they cannot host the Manager virtual machine. Red Hat recommends having at least two self-hosted engine nodes to ensure the Manager virtual machine is highly available. Additional hosts can also be added using the REST API. See Hosts in the REST API Guide.
- If you are reusing a self-hosted engine node, remove its existing self-hosted engine configuration. See Removing a Host from a Self-Hosted Engine Environment.
When creating a management bridge that uses a static IPv6 address, disable network manager control in its interface configuration (ifcfg) file before adding a host. See https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3981311 for more information.
- In the Administration Portal, click Compute → Hosts.
For information on additional host settings, see Explanation of Settings and Controls in the New Host and Edit Host Windows in the Administration Guide.
- Use the drop-down list to select the Data Center and Host Cluster for the new host.
- Enter the Name and the Address of the new host. The standard SSH port, port 22, is auto-filled in the SSH Port field.
Select an authentication method to use for the Manager to access the host.
- Enter the root user’s password to use password authentication.
- Alternatively, copy the key displayed in the SSH PublicKey field to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the host to use public key authentication.
- Optionally, configure power management, where the host has a supported power management card. For information on power management configuration, see Host Power Management Settings Explained in the Administration Guide.
- Click the Hosted Engine tab.
- Select Deploy.
- Click OK.