Show Table of Contents
7.10. Creating a Virtual Machine Based on a Template
Create a virtual machine from a template to enable the virtual machines to be pre-configured with an operating system, network interfaces, applications and other resources.
Virtual machines created from a template depend on that template. This means that you cannot remove a template from the Manager if a virtual machine was created from that template. However, you can clone a virtual machine from a template to remove the dependency on that template. See Section 7.11, “Creating a Cloned Virtual Machine Based on a Template” for more information.
When creating a virtual machine from a template, you can choose the format of the disk: either RAW or QCOW2. If the Storage Allocation is Thin, the format of the disk will be marked as QCOW2 and you will not be able to change it. If the Storage Allocation is Clone, you can select either QCOW2 or RAW.
Procedure 7.15. Creating a Virtual Machine Based on a Template
- Click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Select the Cluster on which the virtual machine will run.
- Select a template from the Based on Template list.
- Enter a Name, Description, and any Comments, and accept the default values inherited from the template in the rest of the fields. You can change them if needed.
- Click the Resource Allocation tab.
- Select the Thin radio button in the Storage Allocation area.
- Use the Target drop-down list to select the storage domain on which the virtual machine's virtual disk will be stored.
The virtual machine is displayed in the Virtual Machines tab.