Chapter 3. Installing Windows Virtual Machines
- Create a blank virtual machine on which to install an operating system.
- Add a virtual disk for storage.
- Add a network interface to connect the virtual machine to the network.
- Attach the
virtio-win.vfddiskette to the virtual machine so that VirtIO-optimized device drivers can be installed during the operating system installation.
- Install an operating system on the virtual machine. See your operating system's documentation for instructions.
- Install guest agents and drivers for additional virtual machine functionality.
3.1. Creating a Windows Virtual Machine
Procedure 3.1. Creating Windows Virtual Machines
- You can change the default virtual machine name length with the
engine-configtool. Run the following command on the Manager machine:
# engine-config --set MaxVmNameLength=integer
- Click thetab.
- Click New Virtual Machine window.to open the
Figure 3.1. The New Virtual Machine Window
- Select a Windows variant from the Operating System drop-down list.
- Enter a Name for the virtual machine.
- Add storage to the virtual machine. Instance Images.or a virtual disk under
- Clickand select an existing virtual disk.
- Click Size(GB) and Alias for a new virtual disk. You can accept the default settings for all other fields, or change them if required. See Section A.3, “Explanation of Settings in the New Virtual Disk and Edit Virtual Disk Windows” for more details on the fields for all disk types.and enter a
- Connect the virtual machine to the network. Add a network interface by selecting a vNIC profile from the nic1 drop-down list at the bottom of the General tab.
- Specify the virtual machine's Memory Size on the System tab.
- Choose the First Device that the virtual machine will boot from on the Boot Options tab.
- You can accept the default settings for all other fields, or change them if required. For more details on all fields in the New Virtual Machine window, see Section A.1, “Explanation of Settings in the New Virtual Machine and Edit Virtual Machine Windows”.
Down. Before you can use this virtual machine, you must install an operating system and VirtIO-optimized disk and network drivers.