Red Hat Training
A Red Hat training course is available for Red Hat Virtualization
7.6. Importing Templates
7.6.1. Importing a Template into a Data Center
The export storage domain is deprecated. Storage data domains can be unattached from a data center and imported to another data center in the same environment, or in a different environment. Virtual machines, floating virtual disk images, and templates can then be uploaded from the imported storage domain to the attached data center. See the Importing Existing Storage Domains section in the Red Hat Virtualization Administration Guide for information on importing storage domains.
Import templates from a newly attached export domain. This procedure requires access to the Administration Portal.
Procedure 7.9. Importing a Template into a Data Center
- Click the Storage tab and select the newly attached export domain.
- Click the Template Import tab in the details pane and select a template.
- Click Import.
- Select the templates to import.
- Use the drop-down lists to select the Destination Cluster and Storage domain. Alter the Suffix if applicable.Alternatively, clear the Clone All Templates check box.
- Click OK to import templates and open a notification window. Click Close to close the notification window.
The template is imported into the destination data center. This can take up to an hour, depending on your storage hardware. You can view the import progress in the Events tab.
Once the importing process is complete, the templates will be visible in the Templates resource tab. The templates can create new virtual machines, or run existing imported virtual machines based on that template.
7.6.2. Importing a Virtual Disk Image from an OpenStack Image Service as a Template
Virtual disk images managed by an OpenStack Image Service can be imported into the Red Hat Virtualization Manager if that OpenStack Image Service has been added to the Manager as an external provider. This procedure requires access to the Administration Portal.
- Click the Storage tab and select the OpenStack Image Service domain.
- Click the Images tab in the details pane and select the image to import.
- Click Import.
NoteIf you are importing an image from a Glance storage domain, you have the option of specifying the template name.
- Select the Data Center into which the virtual disk image will be imported.
- Select the storage domain in which the virtual disk image will be stored from the Domain Name drop-down list.
- Optionally, select a Quota to apply to the virtual disk image.
- Select the Import as Template check box.
- Select the Cluster in which the virtual disk image will be made available as a template.
- Click OK.
The image is imported as a template and is displayed in the Templates tab. You can now create virtual machines based on the template.