7.11. Creating a Cloned Virtual Machine Based on a Template
Procedure 7.18. Cloning a Virtual Machine Based on a Template
- Click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Select the Cluster on which the virtual machine will run.
- Select a template from the Based on Template drop-down menu.
- Enter a Name, Description and any Comments. You can accept the default values inherited from the template in the rest of the fields, or change them if required.
- Click the Resource Allocation tab.
- Select the Clone radio button in the Storage Allocation area.
- Select the disk format from the Format drop-down list. This affects the speed of the clone operation and the amount of disk space the new virtual machine initially requires.
- Selecting QCOW2 results in a faster clone operation and provides optimized usage of storage capacity. Disk space is allocated only as it is required. This is the default selection.
- Selecting Raw results in a slower clone operation and provides optimized virtual machine read and write operations. All disk space requested in the template is allocated at the time of the clone operation.
- Use the Target drop-down menu to select the storage domain on which the virtual machine's virtual disk will be stored.