Chapter 3. Creating a Realm and User
In this section you will create a new realm within the Red Hat Single Sign-On admin console and add a new user to that realm. You will use that new user to log in to your new realm and visit the built-in user account service that all users have access to.
3.1. Before You Start
Before you can create your first realm, complete the installation of Red Hat Single Sign-On and create the initial admin user as shown in Installing and Booting.
3.2. Creating a New Realm
To create a new realm, complete the following steps:
- Go to http://localhost:8080/auth/admin/ and log in to the Red Hat Single Sign-On Admin Console using the account you created in Install and Boot.
- From the Master drop-down menu, click Add Realm. When you are logged in to the master realm this drop-down menu lists all existing realms.
demoin the Name field and click Create.
When the realm is created, the main admin console page opens. Notice the current realm is now set to
demo. Switch between managing the
master realm and the realm you just created by clicking entries in the Select realm drop-down menu.
3.3. Creating a New User
To create a new user in the
demo realm, along with a temporary password for that new user, complete the following steps:
- From the menu, click Users to open the user list page.
- On the right side of the empty user list, click Add User to open the add user page.
Enter a name in the
Usernamefield; this is the only required field. Click Save to save the data and open the management page for the new user.
- Click the Credentials tab to set a temporary password for the new user.
- Type a new password and confirm it. Click Reset Password to set the user password to the new one you specified.
This password is temporary and the user will be required to change it after the first login. To create a password that is persistent, flip the Temporary switch from On to Off before clicking Reset Password.
3.4. User Account Service
- After you create the new user, log out of the management console by opening the user drop-down menu and selecting Sign Out.
Go to http://localhost:8080/auth/realms/demo/account and log in to the User Account Service of your
demorealm with the user you just created.
- Type the username and password you created. You will be required to create a permanent password after you successfully log in, unless you changed the Temporary setting to Off when you created the password.
The user account service page will open. Every user in a realm has access to this account service by default. From this page, you can update profile information and change or add additional credentials. For more information on this service see the Server Administration Guide.