Chapter 2. Preparing your Environment for Satellite Installation in an IPv6 Network
You can install and use Satellite in an IPv6 network. Before installing Satellite in an IPv6 network, view the limitations and ensure that you meet the requirements.
To provision hosts in an IPv6 network, after installing Satellite, you must also configure Satellite for the UEFI HTTP boot provisioning. For more information, see Section 4.5, “Configuring Satellite for UEFI HTTP Boot Provisioning in an IPv6 Network”.
2.1. Limitations of Satellite Installation in an IPv6 Network
Satellite installation in an IPv6 network has the following limitations:
- You can install Satellite and Capsules in IPv6-only systems, dual-stack installation is not supported.
- Although Satellite provisioning templates include IPv6 support for PXE and HTTP (iPXE) provisioning, the only tested and certified provisioning workflow is the UEFI HTTP Boot provisioning. This limitation only relates to users who plan to use Satellite to provision hosts.
2.2. Requirements for Satellite Installation in an IPv6 Network
Before installing Satellite in an IPv6 network, ensure that you meet the following requirements:
If you plan to provision hosts from Satellite or Capsules, you must install Satellite and Capsules on Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 7.9 or higher because these versions include the latest version of the
- You must deploy an external DHCP IPv6 server as a separate unmanaged service to bootstrap clients into GRUB2, which then configures IPv6 networking either using DHCPv6 or or assigning static IPv6 address. This is required because the DHCP server in Red Hat Enterprise Linux (ISC DHCP) does not provide an integration API for managing IPv6 records, therefore the Capsule DHCP plug-in that provides DHCP management is limited to IPv4 subnets.
- You must deploy an external IPv4 HTTP proxy server. This is required because Satellite distributes content only over IPv4 networks, therefore you must use an IPv4 proxy to redirect that content to hosts in your IPv6 network.
- You must configure Satellite to use this IPv4 HTTP proxy server as the default proxy. For more information, see Adding a Default HTTP Proxy to Satellite.