Chapter 5. Upgrading Hosts from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8
You can use a job template to upgrade your Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 hosts to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.
- Ensure that your RHEL 7 hosts meet the requirements for the upgrade to RHEL 8. For more information, see Planning an upgrade in the Upgrading from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 guide.
- Prepare your hosts for the upgrade. For more information, see Preparing a RHEL 7 system for the upgrade in the Upgrading from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 guide.
- Enable remote execution feature on Satellite. For more information, see Chapter 10, Configuring and Setting up Remote Jobs.
- Distribute Satellite SSH keys to the hosts that you want to upgrade. For more information, see Section 10.8, “Distributing SSH Keys for Remote Execution”.
On Satellite, enable the
# satellite-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-leapp
- In the Satellite web UI, navigate to Hosts > All Hosts.
- Select the hosts that you want to upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.
- In the upper right of the Hosts window, from the Select Action list, select Preupgrade check with Leapp.
- Click Submit to start the pre-upgrade check.
- When the check is finished, click the Leapp preupgrade report tab to see if LEAPP has found any issues on RHEL 7 hosts. Issues that have the Inhibitor flag are considered crucial and are likely to break the upgrade procedure. Some issues might have documentation linked that describe how to fix them.
- Optional: If you have issues that have commands associated with them, you can fix them with a remote job. To do that, select these issues, click the Fix Selected button, and submit the job.
- After you fixed the issues, click the Rerun button, and then click Submit to run the pre-upgrade check again to verify that your RHEL 7 hosts do not have any issues and are ready to be upgraded.
- When your systems are ready for the upgrade, click the Run Upgrade button and click submit to start the upgrade.