Chapter 6. Monitoring Hosts Using Red Hat Insights
In this chapter, you can find information about creating host monitoring reports and monitoring your hosts using Red Hat Insights and creating an Insights plan.
6.1. Using Red Hat Insights with Hosts in Satellite
You can use Red Hat Insights to diagnose systems and downtime related to security exploits, performance degradation and stability failures. You can use the dashboard to quickly identify key risks to stability, security, and performance. You can sort by category, view details of the impact and resolution, and then determine what systems are affected.
To use Red Hat Insights to monitor hosts that you manage with Satellite, you must first install Red Hat Insights on your hosts and register your hosts with Red Hat Insights.
To install and register your host using Puppet, or manually, see Red Hat Insights Getting Started.
Deploying Red Hat Insights using the Ansible Role
You can automate the installation and registration of hosts with Red Hat Insights using the RedHatInsights.insights-client Ansible role. For more information about adding this role to your Satellite, see Managing Ansible Roles.
Add the RedHatInsights.insights-client role to the hosts.
For new hosts, see Section 2.1, “Creating a Host in Red Hat Satellite”.
For existing hosts, see Chapter 9, Using Ansible Roles.
- To run the RedHatInsights.insights-client role on your host, navigate to Hosts > All Hosts and click the name of the host that you want to use.
- Click the Run Ansible roles button.
When the role completes, you can view and work with the host that you add on the Insights > Overview page of the Satellite web UI.
To apply any system updates to the Red Hat Insights plug-in, enter
httpd restartafter updating.
To view the logs for Red Hat Insights and all plug-ins, go to
- If you have problems connecting to Red Hat Insights, ensure that your certificates are up-to-date. Refresh your subscription manifest to update your certificates.
You can change the default schedule for running
insights-client.timeron a host. For more information, see Changing the insights-client schedule in the Client Configuration Guide for Red Hat Insights.
6.2. Creating an Insights Plan for Hosts
With Satellite 6, you can create a Red Hat Insights remediation plan and run the plan on Satellite hosts.
To create the plan, complete the following steps:
- In the Satellite web UI, navigate to Insights > Inventory, and select the hosts that you want to include in an Insights plan.
- From the Actions list, select Create a new Plan/Playbook.
- From the Plan/Playbook Builder window, select Create new plan and enter a name for the plan.
- Select whether you want the rule to apply to a specific system, group, or all systems.
- Select one or more rules that you want to add to the plan. Use the Filter field to search for specific keywords.
- Click Save.
- In the Planner window, select Run Playbook.
In the Jobs window, you can view the progress of your plan as the playbook runs.
You can view the Insights plan by navigating to Insights > Planner.