Chapter 1. Introduction
In the context of Satellite 6, content is defined as the software installed on systems. This includes, but is not limited to, the base operating system, middleware services, and end-user applications. With Red Hat Satellite 6, you can manage the various types of content for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems at every stage of the software life cycle.
Red Hat Satellite 6 manages the following content:
- Subscription management
- This provides organizations with a method to manage their Red Hat subscription information.
- Content management
- This provides organizations with a method to store Red Hat content and organize it in various ways.
1.1. Content Management Types Overview
With Red Hat Satellite 6, you can manage the following Red Hat content types:
- RPM Packages
- Import RPM files from repositories related to your Red Hat subscriptions. Satellite Server downloads the RPM files from Red Hat’s Content Delivery Network and stores them locally. You can use these repositories and their RPM files in Content Views.
- Kickstart Trees
- Import the kickstart trees for creating a system. New systems access these kickstart trees over a network to use as base content for their installation. Red Hat Satellite 6 also contains some predefined kickstart templates as well as the ability to create your own, which are used to provision systems and customize the installation.
You can also manage other types of custom content in Satellite. For example:
- ISO and KVM Images
- Download and manage media for installation and provisioning. For example, Satellite downloads, stores and manages ISO images and guest images for specific Red Hat Enterprise Linux and non-Red Hat operating systems.
- Puppet Modules
- You can upload Puppet modules alongside RPM content so that Puppet can configure the system’s state after provisioning. Users can also manage Puppet classes and parameters as part of the provisioning process.
- You can import OSTree branches and publish this content to an HTTP location.
You can use the procedure to add custom content for any type of content you require, for example, SSL certificates and OVAL files.