Chapter 2. Creating an Activation Key for Virtual Machines
Use this procedure to create an activation key with auto-attach enabled and no subscriptions attached. When you register virtual machines using this activation key, the virtual machines inherit a subscription from their hypervisor if that hypervisor has a host-based subscription attached.
For more information about activation keys, see Managing Activation Keys in Managing Content.
- In the Satellite web UI, navigate to Content > Activation keys and click Create Activation Key.
- In the Name field, enter the name of the activation key.
- Ensure the Unlimited Hosts check box is selected. Alternatively, if you want to set a limit, clear the Unlimited hosts check box, and in the Limit field, enter the maximum number of virtual machines you can register with the activation key.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the activation key.
- From the Environment list, select the environment to use.
- From the Content View list, select a Content View to use.
- Click Save.
- When the new activation key appears in the Activation Keys window, click the name of the key.
- Click the Subscriptions tab.
- Ensure that Auto-Attach is set to Yes. If it is not, click the edit icon, select the check box, and click Save.
Do not add any subscriptions to this activation key.
For CLI Users
Create the activation key:
# hammer activation-key create \ --name "VM_Activation_Key" \ --unlimited-hosts \ --description "For VMs to inherit a VDC Subscription" \ --lifecycle-environment "Environment_Name" \ --content-view "CV_Name" \ --organization "My_Organization"
Enable auto-attach on the activation key:
# hammer activation-key update --name "VM_Activation_Key" \ --organization "My_Organization" --auto-attach true