Chapter 5. Upgrading Hosts from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8
You can use a job template to upgrade your Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 hosts to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.
- Ensure that your RHEL 7 hosts meet the requirements for the upgrade to RHEL 8. For more information, see Planning an upgrade in the Upgrading from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 guide.
- Prepare your hosts for the upgrade. For more information, see Preparing a RHEL 7 system for the upgrade in the Upgrading from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 guide.
- Enable remote execution feature on Satellite. For more information, see Chapter 10, Configuring and Setting up Remote Jobs.
- Distribute Satellite SSH keys to the hosts that you want to upgrade. For more information, see Section 10.8, “Distributing SSH Keys for Remote Execution”.
On Satellite, enable the
# satellite-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-leapp
- In the Satellite web UI, navigate to Hosts > All Hosts.
- Select the hosts that you want to upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.
- In the upper right of the Hosts window, from the Select Action list, select Preupgrade check with Leapp.
- Click Submit to start the pre-upgrade check.
When the check is finished, click the Leapp preupgrade report tab to see if LEAPP has found any issues on RHEL 7 hosts. Issues that have the Inhibitor flag are considered crucial and are likely to break the upgrade procedure. Issues that have the Has Remediation flag contain remediation that can help you fix the issue.
Click an issue that is flagged as Has Remediation to expand it.
- If the issue contains a remediation Command, you can fix it directly from Satellite using remote execution. Select the issue.
- If the issue contains only a remediation Hint, use the hint to fix the issue on the host manually.
Repeat this step for other issues.
- After you selected any issues with remediation commands, click Fix Selected and submit the job.
- After the issues are fixed, click the Rerun button, and then click Submit to run the pre-upgrade check again to verify that the hosts you are upgrading do not have any issues and are ready to be upgraded.
- When your systems are ready for the upgrade, click the Run Upgrade button and click Submit to start the upgrade.