1.4. Summary of Steps
Obtaining Red Hat Satellite
- After an evaluation, contact your Red Hat sales representative to purchase Red Hat Satellite.
- Receive login information for the Red Hat Customer Portal from your sales representative.
- Log into the Red Hat Customer Portal website (access.redhat.com) and download the distribution ISOs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Satellite. These can be found on the Product Downloads page under → and → .
- (Optional) While still logged into the Customer Portal, download the Channel Content ISOs to be served by your Red Hat Satellite. These are also available through the Product Downloads page under → → . These Channel Content ISOs differ from the distribution ISOs previously mentioned in that they contain metadata necessary for parsing and serving packages by Red Hat Satellite.
Preparing for Red Hat Satellite Installation
- Check the software, hardware, and standard database requirements. See Chapter 2, Requirements for these requirements.
- Create and download a manifest to activate the Satellite server.
Installing Red Hat Satellite
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an Embedded Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 3.1, “Scenario 1: Installing Satellite with Embedded Database”.
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an Managed Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 3.2, “Scenario 2: Installing Satellite with Managed Database”.
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an External Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 3.3, “Scenario 3: Installing Satellite with External Database”.
- Open Red Hat Satellite's web interface in a web browser and create the first user account. This is the Administrator account (also referred to as the Organization Administrator).
- Finalize Red Hat Satellite with any post-installation steps.
- Use the Red Hat Satellite CDN Synchronization Tool to import the channels and associated packages into the Red Hat Satellite.