Chapter 10. Upgrades
- Complete the upgrade requirements.
- Perform the upgrade.
- Optionally, complete the post-installation tasks.
10.1. Upgrade Requirements
10.1.1. Content Synchronization Changes
cdn-sync) tool is used. If content is being synchronized from Red Hat Network Channel Content ISOs, or from one Satellite instance to another Satellite instance, the Satellite Synchronization (
satellite-sync) tool is used. The sections in this chapter explain the use of each tool and its use with each content source type. The new tool was introduced with Red Hat Satellite 5.8 because of the retirement of the Red Hat Network.
cron, review and amend those scheduled jobs as necessary. To ease the transition, the
satellite-synctools have many of the same parameters, but they are not equivalent. For further details of each tool, see Chapter 8, Content and Synchronization.
10.1.2. Backup the Satellite 5 Instance
10.1.3. PostgreSQL Upgrade
10.1.4. Confirming Database Disk Space
Procedure 10.1. Confirm Database Disk Space
- Calculate the disk space occupied by the embedded database.
- For Satellite 5.6The embedded database is stored in directory
/var/lib/pgsql. After the upgrade, the embedded database will be stored in directory
# du --summarize -h /var/lib/pgsqlExample output of the
- For Satellite 5.7The embedded database is stored in directory
/opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql. After the upgrade, the embedded database will be stored in directory
# du --summarize -h /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsqlExample output of the
- Confirm the available disk space in the embedded database's location for Satellite 5.8.
# df -h /varExample output of the
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_testhost01-lv_root 50G 3.4G 44G 8% /
- Compare the disk space occupied by the embedded database and the available disk space. If the available disk space is less than the total disk space occupied by the embedded database, do not proceed until this has been corrected.
10.1.5. Downloading a Satellite 5.8 Manifest
Procedure 10.2. Download a Satellite 5.8 Manifest
- Log on to the Customer Portal and click Subscriptions.
- Click Satellite Organizations.
- Click Satellite.
- Click the name of the Satellite instance to be upgraded.
- Select Satellite 5.8 from the Version: drop-down list, and click .
- Clickand save the manifest file.
- Copy the manifest file to the Satellite 5 host which is being upgraded.
# scp manifest_file.zip firstname.lastname@example.org:/root
10.1.6. Downloading Satellite 5.8 ISO
Procedure 10.3. Download the Installation Media
- Log on to the Customer Portal.
- Click Downloads.
- Click Red Hat Satellite.
- Select 5.8 for RHEL 6 from the Versions drop-down list.
- Select x86_64 or s390x from the Architecture list.
- Download the Red Hat Satellite 5.8 Binary DVD.
- Depending on your upgrade requirements, either burn the DVD ISO image to DVD media, or copy it to the host on which Red Hat Satellite will be installed.Run the following command on the host containing the DVD ISO image to copy it to the Satellite host. In this example, the ISO image is copied to the directory
# scp satellite.iso email@example.com:/rootIf you will be upgrading Red Hat Satellite from a DVD, burn the download ISO image to a writeable DVD.