1.4. Summary of Steps
A functional Red Hat Satellite requires more than installing software and a database. Client systems require configuration to use the Red Hat Satellite. Creation of custom channels for custom packages is also recommended. Since these tasks extend beyond the basic installation, they are covered in greater detail in other guides of the Red Hat Satellite documentation suite.
This section provides a list of all required and recommended steps, from evaluation through custom package deployment. They should take place in the following order:
Obtaining Red Hat Satellite
- After an evaluation, contact your Red Hat sales representative to purchase Red Hat Satellite.
- Receive a Red Hat Network Entitlement Certificate and login information for Red Hat Network from your sales representative.
- Log into the Red Hat Customer Portal website (access.redhat.com) and download the distribution ISOs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Satellite. These can be found on the Download Software page under Downloads → Red Hat Enterprise Linux → Downloads.
- (Optional) While still logged into the Customer Portal, download the Channel Content ISOs to be served by your Red Hat Satellite. These are also available through the Download Software page under Downloads → Red Hat Enterprise Linux → Downloads. These Channel Content ISOs differ from the distribution ISOs previously mentioned in that they contain metadata necessary for parsing and serving packages by Red Hat Satellite.
Preparing for Red Hat Satellite Installation
Installing Red Hat Satellite
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an Embedded Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 4.1, “Scenario 1: Installing Satellite with Embedded Database”.
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an Managed Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 4.2, “Scenario 2: Managed Database Installation”.
- If installing Red Hat Satellite with an External Database, use the following installation scenario: Section 4.3, “Scenario 3: Installing Satellite with External Database”.
- Open Red Hat Satellite's web interface in a web browser and create the first user account. This is the Administrator account (also referred to as the Organization Administrator).
- Finalize Red Hat Satellite with any post-installation steps.
- Use the Red Hat Satellite Synchronization Tool to import the channels and associated packages into the Red Hat Satellite.