Chapter 2. Requirements
2.1. Software Requirements
- Base Operating System
- Red Hat Satellite 5 requires a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 operating system with the latest packages from the
@Basepackage group and no other package-set modifications, third-party configurations, or software not directly necessary for the operation of the server. This restriction includes hardening or other non-Red Hat security software. If such software is required in your infrastructure, first install and verify a complete working Red Hat Satellite first, then create a backup of the system before adding any non-Red Hat software.Red Hat Satellite 5 also supports installation on Red Hat Enterprise Linux to supported virtualized environments, including:
Performance on virtualized environments will not always equal the same performance of physical hardware. Make sure to consider your virtual environment's performance and implement any recommended tuning guidelines.
ImportantEach purchased Satellite product includes one supported instance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server. Install Satellite on a fresh installation of Enterprise Linux where Satellite is the only application and service provided by the OS. Using the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS included with Satellite to run other daemons, applications, or services within your environment is not supported.
ImportantRegister the base operating system through Red Hat Subscription Manager.
- Red Hat Satellite Installation Media
- Red Hat provides the installation media as a disc or ISO. It contains an Red Hat Satellite Installation Script, which installs all packages required for Red Hat Satellite.
ImportantThe Red Hat Satellite Installation Script installs packages beyond the
@Basepackage group. The installation script attempts to download and install these packages but prompts you to install the listed packages manually if they are unavailable. In this situation, either:
The installation ISO lists the packages necessary for installation in the
- Install these package from your Red Hat Enterprise Linux installation media, or
- Subscribe the base operating system to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux channel to resolve package dependencies during installation.
rhelrpmsfile located in the
- Channel content
- All software packages and data exported for all entitled Red Hat channels. This content is loaded directly on the Red Hat Satellite after installation using the Red Hat Satellite Synchronization Tool.
- Perl Interpreter
- The installation program requires a Perl interpreter. To test if a Perl interpreter is already installed, run the command
perl --version. If the output includes the text
command not found, install a Perl interpreter.
# yum install perl