Chapter 4. Installation Scenarios
4.1. Scenario 1: Installing Satellite with Embedded Database
4.1.1. Downloading the Installation Media
Procedure 4.1. Download the Installation Media
- Log on to the Red Hat Customer Portal.
- Click Downloads.
- Click Red Hat Satellite.
- Select 5.7 for RHEL 6 from the Version drop-down list.
- Select x86_64 or s390x from the Architecture list.
- Download the Satellite 5.7.0 Installer for RHEL-6.
- Depending on your installation requirements, either burn the DVD ISO image to DVD media, or copy it to the host on which Red Hat Satellite will be installed.Run the following command on the host containing the DVD ISO image to copy it to the Satellite host. In this example, the ISO image is copied to the directory
# scp satellite.iso root@hostname:/rootIf you will be installing Red Hat Satellite from a DVD, burn the download ISO image to a writeable DVD.
4.1.2. Mounting the Installation Media
Procedure 4.2. Mounting from a disc
- Log into the machine as
- Insert the Red Hat Satellite Server CD or DVD containing the installation files.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux might automount the disc. If so, it mounts the disc to the
/media/cdrom/directory. If Red Hat Enterprise Linux does not automount the disc, manually mount it to the
/media/cdrom/directory with the following command:
# mkdir /media/cdrom # mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
Procedure 4.3. Mounting from an ISO image
- Log into the host as
- Mount the ISO image to a location on your filesystem:
# mkdir /media/cdrom # mount -o loop iso_filename /media/cdrom
/media/cdrom/. Use this location to access the Red Hat Satellite installation program.
4.1.3. Installing Behind a HTTP Proxy: Pre-Configuration (Optional)
/etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf, and edit the following lines, adding details of the HTTP proxy, and credentials.
proxy_hostname = proxy_hostname proxy_port = proxy_port proxy_user = proxy_user proxy_password = proxy_password
4.1.4. Registering Host with Red Hat Content Delivery Network
# subscription-manager register
The system has been registered with ID: 541084ff2-44cab-4eb1-9fa1-7683431bcf9a
4.1.5. Activating the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Repository
Procedure 4.4. Activate the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Repository
- List all available subscriptions, and identify the Red Hat Satellite 5 subscription.The list of available subscriptions may be long, but if you pipe the output into a pager utility, such as
more, you can read the output one screenful at a time.
# subscription-manager list --all --available | lessNote the
Pool IDas this is required to attach the subscription.
- Attach the subscription to the Red Hat Satellite host.
# subscription-manager attach --pool=pool_idThe output should be similar to the following:
Successfully attached a subscription for: Red Hat Satellite
- Disable all repositories.
# subscription-manager repos --disable "*"
- Enable the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 repository.For AMD64 and Intel 64
# subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-6-server-rpmsFor IBM System z
# subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-6-for-system-z-rpms
4.1.6. Running the Installation Program
Procedure 4.5. Running the Installation Program
- Run the installation program from the
# ./install.pl --disconnected
--disconnectedoption is required to prevent the installation program attempting to connect to Red Hat Network.
- The script first verifies the prerequisites Chapter 2, Requirements are met before proceeding with the installation.
* Starting the Red Hat Satellite installer. * Performing pre-install checks. * Pre-install checks complete. Beginning installation.
- The script performs host registration with Red Hat Subscription Manager (if not already done), installs and updates all required packages, and populates the database on the Managed Database host.If the installer prompts with the question, "Do you want the installer to resolve dependencies [y/N]?", reply
* RHN Registration. ** Registration: Disconnected mode. Not registering with RHN. * Checking for uninstalled prerequisites. ** Checking if yum is available ... There are some packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux that are not part of the @base group that Satellite will require to be installed on this system. The installer will try resolve the dependencies automatically. However, you may want to install these prerequisites manually. Do you want the installer to resolve dependencies [y/N]? y * Installing RHN packages. Warning: yum did not install the following packages: OpenIPMI OpenIPMI-libs lm_sensors-libs net-snmp-libs * Now running spacewalk-setup. * Setting up SELinux.. ** Database: Setting up database connection for PostgreSQL backend. ** Database: Installing the database: ** Database: This is a long process that is logged in: ** Database: /var/log/rhn/install_db.log *** Progress: # ** Database: Installation complete. ** Database: Populating database. ** Database: Populating database. *** Progress: ####################################
4.1.7. Configuring the Satellite
/root/.gnupg/directory, if required.
* Configuring tomcat. * Setting up users and groups. ** GPG: Initializing GPG and importing key.
* Performing initial configuration. * Activating Red Hat Satellite. Where is your satellite certificate file? /root//root/certificate.xml ** Loading Red Hat Satellite Certificate. ** Verifying certificate locally. ** Activating Red Hat Satellite.
yto the Apache SSL configuration question, then answer the CA certificate questions.
- CA cert
- Enter a password for the certificate.
- Enter the name of your organization.
- Organization Unit
- Enter the name of your department within your organization.
- Email Address
- Enter an email address to be associated with this certificate, such as the admin email entered in the steps above.
- Enter your city.
- Enter your state.
- Enter your country. The country code must be exactly two letters, or the certificate generation fails. Type
?to see a list of country codes.
* Configuring apache SSL virtual host. Should setup configure apache's default ssl server for you (saves original ssl.conf) [Y]? ** /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf has been backed up to ssl.conf-swsave * Configuring jabberd. * Creating SSL certificates. CA certificate password? Re-enter CA certificate password? Organization? Red Hat Organization Unit [satellite.example.com]? Sales Email Address [firstname.lastname@example.org]? email@example.com City? Raleigh State? NC Country code (Examples: "US", "JP", "IN", or type "?" to see a list)? US ** SSL: Generating CA certificate. ** SSL: Deploying CA certificate. ** SSL: Generating server certificate. ** SSL: Storing SSL certificates. * Deploying configuration files. * Update configuration in database.
* Setting up Cobbler.. cobblerd does not appear to be running/accessible Cobbler requires tftp and xinetd services be turned on for PXE provisioning functionality. Enable these services [Y]?
* Restarting services. Installation complete. Visit https://satellite.example.com to create the Red Hat Satellite administrator account.
# setsebool -P cobbler_anon_write on
4.1.8. Post-Installation Tasks
- Activate the Satellite 5 repository.
- Update packages and the database schema.
- Switch Satellite to connected mode.
Procedure 4.6. Activate Satellite 5 Repository
- Enable the Satellite 5 repositoryFor AMD64 and Intel 64:
# subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-6-server-satellite-5.7-rpmsFor IBM System z:
# subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-6-system-z-satellite-5.7-rpms
Procedure 4.7. Update Packages and the Database Schema
- For detailed instructions, follow the procedure in Section 13.2, “Performing Critical Updates to the Server”.
Procedure 4.8. Switch Satellite to Connected Mode
- Edit the Red Hat Network configuration file
/etc/rhn/rhn.confand make the following changes:
- Edit the
server.satellite.rhn_parentline as follows.
# server.satellite.rhn_parent = satellite.rhn.redhat.com
- Change the line
- Validate the configuration changes.
# spacewalk-cfg-get get server disconnectedThe expected output is
0, confirming that disconnected mode is not enabled.
# spacewalk-cfg-get get server.satellite rhn_parentThe expected output is
- Reactivate the Satellite Server. The
rhn-satellite-activatecommand requires the entitlement certificate. In this example, the certificate
# rhn-satellite-activate -vvv --rhn-cert=Satellite-57.cert RHN_PARENT: satellite.rhn.redhat.com