Chapter 11. Upgrades
11.1. Upgrade Requirements
- An updated Red Hat Satellite certificate
- The Red Hat Satellite Upgrade Package (
- The installation media for the latest version of Red Hat Satellite
Procedure 11.1. Preparing for Red Hat Satellite Upgrade
Obtain Red Hat Satellite Certificate and installation media from the Red Hat Customer Portal
- Obtain a Red Hat Satellite 5 entitlement certificate from the Red Hat Customer Portal by following the instructions in Chapter 3, Entitlement Certificate.
- Save this certificate on your Red Hat Satellite server.
Obtain Red Hat Satellite Upgrade Package (
- Ensure the Satellite is registered to the Red Hat Satellite Channel.
- Install the
rhn-upgradepackage with the following command:
# yum install rhn-upgradeThis package installs scripts and a comprehensive set of instructions for a Red Hat Satellite upgrade within the
Obtain Installation Media
- Obtain a Red Hat Satellite 5.7 ISO from the Red Hat Customer Portal at https://access.redhat.com/home under Downloads.
- Download this ISO to your Red Hat Satellite server.
Backup your Satellite 5 Server
- Backup your database. Use the following commands:
# db-control stop # db-control backup $BACKUP_DIR
ImportantDue to an updated version of the PostgreSQL Embedded Database, the database location has changed from
/var/lib/pgsqlin Red Hat Satellite 5.6 to
/opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsqlin Red Hat Satellite 5.7. Make sure to allocate enough hard disk space to this location.
- Backup your RPM packages. The default location is
/var/satelliteunless you have changed this directory in your
- Backup the
/etc/rhn/rhn.confconfiguration file, especially if you have made any modifications to it for authentication or changing default directory locations. The upgrade process overwrites this file with new settings. Retain the old version your old file so you can reference your Satellite 5 server settings.