Show Table of Contents
Chapter 5. Errata Management
Custom errata enables organizations to issue errata alerts for the packages in their custom channels, schedule errata deployment and manage errata across organizations.
If the organization is using both Red Hat Satellite Proxy and Red Hat Satellite, manage errata only on the Satellite, since the Proxy servers receive updates directly from it. Managing errata on a Proxy in this combined configuration risks putting your servers out-of-sync.
There are two types of errata managed by the Errata section:
- Published Errata - displays the errata alerts the organization has created and disseminated. To edit an existing published errata, follow the steps described in Section 5.1, “Creating and Editing Errata”. To distribute the errata, click on the top-right corner of the Errata Details page. The errata alert is sent to the administrators of all affected systems.
- Unpublished Errata - displays the errata alerts your organization has created but not yet distributed. To edit an existing unpublished errata, follow the steps described in Section 5.1, “Creating and Editing Errata”. To publish the errata, click on the top-right corner of the Errata Details page. Confirm the channels associated with the errata and click the button, now in the lower-right corner. The errata alert is shifted to the Published page awaiting distribution.
5.1. Creating and Editing Errata
Follow this procedure to make a custom errata alert:
- On the top navigation bar, click on Errata Management page, click on .then select on the left navigation bar. From the
- Enter a label for the erratum in the Advisory field, ideally following a naming convention adopted by your organization. Note that this label cannot begin with the letters "RH" (capitalized or not) to prevent confusion between custom errata and those issued by Red Hat .
- Then, complete all remaining required fields and click the Create Errata button. View standard Red Hat Errata Alerts for examples of properly completed fields.
Red Hat Satellite administrators may also create errata by cloning an existing one. This cloning preserves package associations and simplifies issuing errata. See Section 5.4, “Cloning Errata” for instructions.
To edit an existing errata alert's details, click its advisory in the Errata Management page, make the changes in the appropriate fields of the Details tab, and click the button. Click on the Channels tab to alter the errata's channel association. Click on the Packages tab to view and modify its packages.
To delete errata, select their checkboxes in the Errata Management page, click the button, and confirm the action. Note that deleting published errata may take a few minutes.
To receive an email when errata alerts are issued for your systems, go to Your Red Hat Network => Your Preferences in the Red Hat Network Management Website and select Receive email notifications. This is a useful setting for administrators of subscribed systems in your organization.