Chapter 7. Executing a business process in Business Central
After you build and deploy the project that contains your business process, you can execute the defined functionality for the business process.
As an example, this procedure uses the Mortgage_Process sample project in Business Central. In this scenario, you input data into a mortgage application form acting as the mortgage broker. The MortgageApprovalProcess business process runs and determines whether or not the applicant has offered an acceptable down payment based on the decision rules defined in the project. The business process either ends the rule testing or requests that the applicant increase the down payment to proceed. If the application passes the business rule testing, the bank approver reviews the application and either approves or denies the loan.
- KIE Server is deployed and connected to Business Central. For more information about KIE Server configuration, see Installing and configuring Red Hat Process Automation Manager on Red Hat JBoss EAP 7.3.
- In Business Central, go to Menu → Projects and select a space. The default space is MySpace.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the arrow next to Add Project and select Try Samples.
- Select the Mortgage_Process sample and click Ok.
- On the project page, select Mortgage_Process.
- On the Mortgage_Process page, click Build.
- After the project has built, click Deploy.
- Go to Menu → Manage → Process Definitions.
- Click anywhere in the MortgageApprovalProcess row to view the process details.
- Click the Diagram tab to view the business process diagram in the editor.
Click New Process Instance to open the Application form and input the following values into the form fields:
Years of amortization:
Age of property:
Address of property:
Property Sale Price:
- Down Payment:
- Click Submit to start a new process instance. After starting the process instance, the Instance Details view opens.
- Click the Diagram tab to view the process flow within the process diagram. The state of the process is highlighted as it moves through each task.
Click Menu → Manage → Tasks.
For this example, the user or users working on the corresponding tasks are members of the following groups:
- approver: For the Qualify task
- broker: For the Correct Data and Increase Down Payment tasks
- manager: For the Final Approval task
- As the approver, review the Qualify task information, click Claim and then Start to start the task, and then select Is mortgage application in limit? and click Complete to complete the task flow.
- In the Tasks page, click anywhere in the Final Approval row to open the Final Approval task.
- Click Claim to claim responsibility for the task, and click Complete to finalize the loan approval process.
The Save and Release buttons are only used to either pause the approval process and save the instance if you are waiting on a field value, or to release the task for another user to modify.