Chapter 10. About Red Hat Process Automation Manager
Red Hat Process Automation Manager is the Red Hat middleware platform for creating business automation applications and microservices. It enables enterprise business and IT users to document, simulate, manage, automate, and monitor business processes and policies. It is designed to empower business and IT users to collaborate more effectively, so business applications can be changed easily and quickly.
Red Hat Process Automation Manager is made up of Business Central and KIE Server.
- KIE Server is the server where rules and other artifacts are executed. It is used to instantiate and execute rules and solve planning problems. KIE Server provides the runtime environment for business assets and accesses the data stored in the assets repository (knowledge store).
Business Central is the graphical user interface where you create and manage business rules that KIE Server executes. It enables you to perform the following tasks:
- Create, manage, and edit your rules, processes, and related assets.
- Manage connected KIE Server instances and their KIE containers (deployment units).
Execute runtime operations against processes and tasks in KIE Server instances connected to Business Central.
Business Central is also available as a standalone JAR file. You can use the Business Central standalone JAR file to run Business Central without needing to deploy it to an application server.
Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (Red Hat JBoss EAP) 7.4 is a certified implementation of the Java Enterprise Edition 8 (Java EE 8) full and web profile specifications. Red Hat JBoss EAP provides preconfigured options for features such as high availability, clustering, messaging, and distributed caching. It also enables users to write, deploy, and run applications using the various APIs and services that Red Hat JBoss EAP provides.
The instructions in this document explain how to install Red Hat Process Automation Manager in a Red Hat JBoss EAP 7.4 server instance.
For instructions on how to install Red Hat Process Automation Manager in other environments, see the following documents:
- Installing and configuring KIE Server on IBM WebSphere Application Server
- Installing and configuring KIE Server on Oracle WebLogic Server
- Deploying a Red Hat Process Automation Manager environment on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 4 using Operators
- Deploying a Red Hat Process Automation Manager environment on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3 using templates
For information about supported components, see the following documents: