Chapter 1. Introduction
Figure 1.1. Basic Layout of Undercloud and Overcloud
- Environment planning - The Undercloud provides planning functions for users to assign Red Hat OpenStack Platform roles, including Compute, Controller, and various storage roles.
- Bare metal system control - The Undercloud uses the Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) of each node for power management control and a PXE-based service to discover hardware attributes and install OpenStack to each node. This provides a method to provision bare metal systems as OpenStack nodes.
- Orchestration - The Undercloud provides and reads a set of YAML templates to create an OpenStack environment.
- OpenStack Bare Metal (ironic) and OpenStack Compute (nova) - Manages bare metal nodes.
- OpenStack Networking (neutron) and Open vSwitch - Controls networking for bare metal nodes.
- OpenStack Image Service (glance) - Stores images that are written to bare metal machines.
- OpenStack Orchestration (heat) and Puppet - Provides orchestration of nodes and configuration of nodes after the director writes the Overcloud image to disk.
- OpenStack Telemetry (ceilometer) - Performs monitoring and data collection.
- OpenStack Identity (keystone) - Provides authentication and authorization for the director's components.
- MariaDB - The database back end for the director.
- RabbitMQ - Messaging queue for the director's components.