Chapter 1. Red Hat OpenStack Platform hyperconverged infrastructure
Red Hat OpenStack Platform (RHOSP) hyperconverged infrastructures (HCI) consist of hyperconverged nodes. Services are colocated on these hyperconverged nodes for optimized resource usage. In a RHOSP HCI, the Compute and storage services are colocated on hyperconverged nodes. You can deploy an overcloud with only hyperconverged nodes, or a mixture of hyperconverged nodes with normal Compute and Ceph Storage nodes.
You must use Red Hat Ceph Storage as the storage provider.
- Use ceph-ansible 3.2 and later to automatically tune Ceph memory settings.
- Use BlueStore as the back end for HCI deployments, to make use of the BlueStore memory handling features.
This document describes how to deploy HCI on an overcloud, and integrate with other features in your overcloud, such as Network Function Virtualization. This document also covers how to ensure optimal performance of both Compute and Ceph Storage services on hyperconverged nodes.
- You have deployed the undercloud. For instructions about how to deploy the undercloud, see the Director Installation and Usage guide.
- Your environment can provision nodes that meet Compute and Ceph Storage requirements. For more information, see Basic Overcloud Deployment in the Director Installation and Usage guide.
- You have registered all nodes in your environment. For more information, see Registering Nodes in the Deploying an Overcloud with Containerized Red Hat Ceph guide.
- You have tagged all nodes in your environment. For more information, see Manually Tagging the Nodes in the Deploying an Overcloud with Containerized Red Hat Ceph guide.
- You have cleaned the disks on nodes that you plan to use for Compute and Ceph OSD services. For more information, see Cleaning Ceph Storage Node Disks in the Deploying an Overcloud with Containerized Red Hat Ceph guide.
- You have prepared your overcloud nodes for registration with the Red Hat Content Delivery Network or a Red Hat Satellite server. For more information, see Ansible-based Overcloud Registration in the Advanced Overcloud Customization guide.
For more detailed information about the Red Hat OpenStack Platform (RHOSP), see the following guides:
- Director Installation and Usage: This guide provides guidance on the end-to-end deployment of a RHOSP environment, both undercloud and overcloud.
- Advanced Overcloud Customization: This guide describes how to configure advanced RHOSP features through the director, such as how to use custom roles.
- Deploying an Overcloud with Containerized Red Hat Ceph: This guide describes how to deploy an overcloud that uses Red Hat Ceph Storage as a storage provider.
- Networking Guide: This guide provides details on RHOSP networking tasks.
- Hyper-converged Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10 and Red Hat Ceph Storage 2: This guide provides a reference architecture that describes how to deploy an environment featuring HCI on very specific hardware.