Chapter 12. In-Place Upgrades
Starting with RHOSP 16.1.1, the Framework for Upgrades (FFU) is utilized in a new In-place Upgrades test. This test is available for Partners during RHOSP plugin certification. It verifies the functionality of plugins to perform as expected during and after automated upgrades between long life releases of RHOSP. Successfully completing this test will add the corresponding feature to the Ecosystem Catalog entry for the certification, for example the “In-place upgrades from RHOSP 13 (Queens)” feature would appear as a line item in a RHOSP 16.1.x (Train) certification.
The in_place_upgrades test is available for all plugin types for which certification is available. It will appear on the certification test plan, and is only planned and executed on the Controller node. This feature and thus the test requires that your plugin be installed, managed, and upgradable via the RHOSP Director toolset. It is run after the upgrade is performed on the controller node and will introspect various log files in the upgraded environment to verify the upgrade conducted and was successful.
The In-place Upgrades test includes the following subtests:
This test validates that a RHOSP cloud has been upgraded from one RHOSP long life release to the next RHOSP long life release using the RHOSP Framework for Upgrades mechanism. And then prompts the partners to confirm the same.
- PASS: If the system is upgraded successfully and then the partners certify the same.
- FAIL: If the system was not upgraded or the partners do not certify the same.
Director Plugin Verification
A self declaration prompt is added for the partners to declare if their plugin installation has been done with the director.
- PASS: If the partners certify that the plugin installation is done with the director.
- FAIL: If the partners certify that the plugin installation is not done with the director.
The status of the In-place Upgrades test depends as follows:
- PASS: If both the subtests, in_place_upgrades and Director Plugin Verification pass.
- FAIL: If both or either subtest, in_place_upgrades and Director Plugin Verification fails.